Annoying Squeeky Noise

Hi:

I have a 1999 Mazda Protege which is in excellent condition; however, for about the past 6 months I have been trying to fix this squeeky noise that comes on when I turn on the air condition. It goes away after I drive for awhile, but none the less it is annoying and seems to be getting progressively worse.

My husband has tried to fix it and has also taken it to a few mechanics with no success. They seem to think it’s something with the belt?

I live in Florida, therefore, I really need to take care of this since I use the A/C on a daily basis.

Can you please offer your advice?

Regards,

Annoyed in Coral Gables, FL

Mechanics can’t fix a squeaky belt? Where have you been taking this car?

There are not too many things that can cause this. A worn or loose AC drive belt could be the culprit, in which case a new belt, properly installed and tensioned, should silence the AC.

The problem could also be in the compressor clutch, which is a bit more complex and expensive to repair. I’d suggest a worn idler pulley as another possibility, but I think that would squeak all the time, and not just when you turn on the AC.

I’m stunned that a mechanic would tell you “it’s something with the belt,” and not fix it.