And so it begins

Chassios, if you don’t renew your lease in a year your MS Office will stop running.

I don’t know if it ever went anywhere but once upon a time there was a proposal to allow police to be able to kill a cars engine if needed. Maybe there will be a firewall aftermarket system soon.

I heard today that Fiat-Chrysler has a patch for this hack.

BD,Onstar can do it.

Web search, world wide wiver of infowmation.

Remote Ignition Block™
Thieves won’t get far with Remote Ignition Block.™ Once a vehicle has been reported stolen, OnStar can send a remote signal that blocks the engine from starting. When a thief tries to restart it, he may think he’s made a clean getaway, but he’s not going anywhere.

Stolen Vehicle Slowdown®
OnStar can send a Stolen Vehicle Slowdown® signal to help authorities recover your vehicle and reduce high- speed pursuits. Once the police confirm that conditions are safe, we can send a signal that gradually slows the vehicle. The police can move in quickly, and it won’t be long before you’re headed out in your recovered car.

My computer guy gave me Libre instead of Word. It seems to do everything just fine that Word did and reads Word files. I don’t know about the whole calendaring thing since I don’t need that anymore, but it truly is a nice free package.

I’ll be damned if I’m going to start paying for subscription services to be able to operate my car. OnStar is a subscription service.

And anyone who thinks hacks that can hack into the most sophisticated systems in the world cannot hack into a car is being unrealistic. Services like OnStar will just make it easier for them. It’s like offering them a free portal.

I have mixed emotions. I just got my July Onstar report. They know my tire pressures, my mileage, when I last changed oil, etc. I’m sure they know where I go every day and I suspect they hear me talking to myself and maybe even record it and turn it over the the NSA.

Just don’t get a divorce. Or get in an accident. Lawyers have been dragging this data into civil courts more and more frequently… with disastrous results for the poor defendants.

Office Home and Student at $139.99 (or Home and Business at $219.99) require no subscription renewal.

My computer guy gave me Libre instead of Word. It seems to do everything just fine that Word did and reads Word files. I don't know about the whole calendaring thing since I don't need that anymore, but it truly is a nice free package.

Do other people need the Libre software to view the document if you send it to them? That’s the only problem I can see.

I use word because that’s what everyone I deal with uses. Kinda worthless if I create this great document and no one can read it.

And anyone who thinks hacks that can hack into the most sophisticated systems in the world cannot hack into a car is being unrealistic.

If you look at the hacks of the real sophisticated systems…it was an inside job. The NSA got hacked by someone sneaking in a thumb drive and leaving it on someones desk. Then the person working at the NSA plugged it in…and the virus was loaded and copied all over.

Hacking into a stand along network (like your car) SHOULD be difficult. Because it’s NOT - tells me almost zero thought went into security.

Years ago when I worked for Digital Equipment…someone did a survey of all installed Vax systems (several million world wide at the time). The system is shipped with a default Administrator username and password which was (UserName - Administrator, Password = Password). Some 60% of customers never changed the default username and password.

There’s always “Open Office”. Free, and fully compatible with MS products. I always like “free”.

A new show called Mr Robot on USA does a great job in showing how real hacking is accomplished. It’s by far the most realistic Hollywood interpretation I’ve ever seen. Movies like Swordfish was a complete joke.

Opened my copy of the Washington Post this morning to find an article about auto hacking on the front page, above the fold.

I noted today that Chrysler is recalling 1.4 million cars to counteract hacking. They give you a flash drive to upgrade the software. I’d just like a switch that you can turn off or on to disable communication is all. Can it be true that brakes can be disabled? Seems highly stupid.

Unfortunately, Mike, it’s already been demonstrated that autos can be hacked into. So the comments is moot.

Yeah I tried Open Office a few years ago but didn’t like it at all. Don’t remember why anymore but Libre is pretty much like Word. As Mike asked though, don’t know what happens at the other end when someone tries to read it. Just don’t have the need anymore and I’m the one paying the fare now. I did have problems with Word though when I had a later version than my wife and she could not read my Word files with the older version nor could we ever get it to convert. I’ve had that experience in the past with Word and it got better with the newer versions but still conversion was always an issue from one generation to the next-for me anyway. If it was real bad the IT guys could resolve it I assume converting it into something else and then back to Word again. I finally welcomed new computers and just threw all the old files away. I’m sure I’ve still got floppys with Wordperfect files but no floppy drives anymore. If the IRS comes calling I’ve just have to give them the discs and see if they can convert them.

I use Open Office and I like it, but it won’t communicate with MS Office. I’ve developed “work arounds” for those times when I have to send a document to a company.

July 22

Just don’t get a divorce. Or get in an accident. Lawyers have been dragging this data into civil courts more and more frequently… with disastrous results for the poor defendants.

Unless of course, the data exonerates you or supports your alibi. It can go both ways.