And so it begins

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/connectedworld/hack-of-connected-car-raises-alarm-over-driver-safety/ar-AAdibe8?ocid=HPCDHP

I could see things like that becoming commonplace. It could be a real hoot to sort out blame for an accident…

It was just a matter of time.

I’m concerned about Miss Onstar listening to me as I’m talking to myself.

The problem is…these companies can make it secure…but it costs money. And they obviously think the cost is too great to put the money into making it secure.

It might take a hack and death situation before they start to seriously consider security in the electronic systems now being put in place. Just look at what’s happening on the Internet with security, almost every day. You constantly see news about this or that company being hacked, websites defaced, etc. Heck, the Chinese (OK, someone out there) now have all MY information - it’s only a matter of time.

At 2:11 the hackers go from entertaining to stupid and dangerous by stalling the engine on a shoulderless highway.

I’m glad my car doesn’t have a wireless cellular ability.

‘‘open the pod bay doors , Hal.’’
’‘I can’t do that , Dave’’

Who, in their right mind, ties the vital engine management computer into the infotainment system? Do they really think they can do automatic software updates over the internet to your car? That’s the only reason I can envision for such a tie-in.

This is so simple. Do NOT make the physical connection between the vehicle controls and the infotainment sections of the car. SIMPLE and effective. The clueless leading the fools… or visa versa…

Do they really think they can do automatic software updates over the internet to your car? That's the only reason I can envision for such a tie-in.

Yes…and they are.

Do NOT make the physical connection between the vehicle controls and the infotainment sections of the car. SIMPLE and effective. The clueless leading the fools... or visa versa...

They weren’t thinking about security when they designed the system. Just convenience in updating the software.

This will only get worse, not better. All the makers are working on (or already selling, see MB) assisted driving, that controls everything based on cameras, GPS, etc. So there may be links between the systems from here on out.

On top of that, I’ve also heard recent talk that auto companies are contemplating going through Congress or something, to make laws requiring (yes, requiring) you to go to dealers for certain services. The justification is that they own the software that runs your vehicle, you are merely leasing it. As such, they still own it, and are responsible for it.

If this has already been discussed, please just disregard.

That justification is pretty lame. Apple or Microsoft makes no claim to won your PC, do they?

On the other hand, some pretty lame things have been made law…

No links is by far the MOST secure. But you can have the links and still be secure. My company designs very very secure telecom systems. We’ve never been hacked…although some of our systems see well over 1,000,000 attempts a year. Making a system secure takes money and time…but not a lot IF you design it right from the start.

I think chaissos is correct. The whole copyright and data privacy issues are posing some big issues and unfortunately our laws are simply not up to date. I remember reading an article some time ago regarding this. I don’t remember where or what the issue was-might have been plate readers or black box information or Onstar records, etc. I think the courts though got it wrong and see electronic information different than paper information. So voice calls can’t be tapped, but emails can? Makes no sense. What’s the difference between mail, email, voice communications, Onstar records, and so on. It should all be private data with severe penalties for hacking or selling or releasing the information.

I agree you shouldn’t be able to take installed software and copy it an sell it, but what you do with it when its installed in your own car should be your own business. Once again our administration and legislators are asleep at the switch while we allow the agency employees to chart the course.

Yes chassios, that’s true, and the manufacturers are using microsoft as an example. You can no longer buy MS Office to load onto your harddrive, only lease it on an annual basis and operate it via the internet. I haven’t tried to buy other MS applications lately, but I suspect they’re the same.

GM is trying to claim that the programming of the ECUs is proprietary and block nonfranchise repair facilities from accessing the programs, including the OBDII fault codes.

Remember when GM made their money making cars? Before their finance division became their profit machine? Man, they designed some nice cars back in those days.

Ah, but you can still buy Office. Certain versions are run from the Internet, that’s true, but you can still buy a copy for home use. Like the operating system itself, once I purchase the license, I’m free to use it on my computer forever. Sure, they can license it how they see fit, but I still get to run it as I see fit, within those guidelines. I agree not to reverse engineer it, etc.

There’s so much fine print that comes with your car now, another few lines licensing the software shouldn’t be a big deal. At least, that’s how I see it. Just like Apple, Microsoft, and everyone else who writes code.

If it comes to it, there needs to be some sort of push back against it. Little by little we’re being forced to go to a certain place to get things done. Surely, this is driving small Indy operations out of business. Once you hit that certain item you can’t modify or get into without extreme expense, then your troubleshooting or fixing stops. This is not the way to drive business.

If I have a mishap, I plan on using this as an excuse.

Updating software can really be done anywhere but the dealer anyways. Same with the operating system of your PC. That’ll be done by Microsoft, or your Linux provider, or Apple.

Because auto manufacturers are now digitizing everything and it integrated software to work…they are pushing for regulations that FORCE people to use the dealer.

Please note. This has NOTHING to do with a Government conspiracy. It’s nothing more then company greed and the millions they spend on lobbying to influence congress.

So voice calls can't be tapped, but emails can? Makes no sense. What's the difference between mail, email, voice communications, Onstar records, and so on. It should all be private data with severe penalties for hacking or selling or releasing the information

That is not a federal issue. It’s a state issue. Each state has their own laws on recording conversations. FL for example is a two way system…meaning both parties have to agree to the recording. NH is one way…meaning I can record ANY conversation I have with someone else. I can’t record third party calls.