And into the muck we charge

The part of TX I was raised in was pretty much settled by the Alemán tribe. This is a fair skinned blue eyed tribe that wore ceremonial lederhosen and danced polkas to music played with accordions. Their native language is still spoken in a lot of places here.

I feel your sense of humour is inappropriate

In fact, I feel your referring to those guys as an “Indian tribe” is possibly insulting to native Americans

I moved to Pasadena 47 years ago. I had a chance to buy a nice house cheap in that bit of unincorporated land east of town, but I wanted to get out.

I shopped 20 years ago. I couldn’t afford a UStoreIt slot in Santa Monica today. I swam in the ocean when it was warm, met a bunch of people who lived there free. I can buy an okay house in Albuquerque - the swimming’s tougher.

1 Like

Sorry, I edited my post to delete “Indian”. I keep forgetting that only white European men can still be joked about. That’s why there is such a lack of outrage over Notre Dame’s leprechaun mascot.

Now I await you to change “native” to “aboriginal” because anybody who was born in America is a “native American”.

2 Likes

Possibly our financial and political leaders can keep everything running smoothly and the vast majority of US won’t need to deal with any great changes. But I am curious as to what direction Detroit would go if we saw another stumble in the economy like 2007. Air bags, stability controls, ABS, heated steering wheels and seats, etc., might all be considered unaffordable luxuries by a vast number of car buyers.

Yeah, language usage is a trip . . .

I haven’t heard anybody refer to “natives” outside of Australia as aboriginals

Indigenous works too.

1 Like

@George_San_Jose1

In the article, they talk about a guy who moved to Reno, from San Jose. His house in Reno cost 1/3 what his San Jose house was worth.

You could sell your San Jose house and buy 3 houses in Reno. Live in 1 and rent out the other 2

You’d be a small scale land baron :smiley:

All kidding aside, several of my colleagues have retired and bought property in Nevada

But a colder one. Temperatures today

Reno: Hi 53, Lo 45
San Jose: Hi 67, Low 48

My daughter has a friend who moved in and out of the workplace as her family situation changed. It was amazing how quickly she got government jobs when she wanted one. She asked my daughter to drive her to apply for a job, and my daughter was sitting with her when she filled out the application. My daughter told her "You aren’t supposed to check that box, you are not native American, your parents are Polish. Her reply was, yes I am , I was born right here. True story

Hee hee. No comment but she’s not alone. Guess it depends on what your definition of “native” is. No jury would convict.

Man, it’s cold today in Bradenton, FL, too!

However…

CSA :sunglasses:

That’s downright tropical weather you got going for there CSA! Good for you. Enjoy :slight_smile: No wonder the Florida frozen orange juice is so yummy. I have to say that while younger me could tolerate cold Colorado winter temperatures no problem — I used to ski in negative degrees F temperatures routinely — Old Geezer me prefers things a little milder.

I find cold temperatures a lot easier to take if I’m on skis. It’s the lift ride back up the hill where I freeze. And then there’s the day I tried cross country skiing, I learned you need to only wear a fraction of the clothes in that sport. One lap around the course and I was in the warming shack taking off all my long underwear and extra layers of clothes, which were literally wet and steaming.
The coldest and most miserable cold is the cold you experience in a deer or duck blind while hunting. No wait, I take that back, there’s going on a long motorcycle ride in the cold.

Hi. Can we get back to cars, please? Thanks.

And speaking of cars… and cold. I drove a Jeep from the snow covered slopes of Mt Fuji to Yokosuka NAS one night 50 years ago. There were no side curtains, no heater/defroster and the first 20 miles were well below 20*F at about 7:00pm and by the time I returned it was past midnight and the wind was blowing 30+ mph. Cold like that makes me wonder how anyone lives north of Atlanta no matter what they drive.

I lost the coin toss with my wife and flew back north to take care of a few things (tax stuff, for one) and I’m still temporarily hunkered down in the frozen north.

It’s been single digits every day since I got here. It’s supposed to get all the way up to 34F degrees today. Actually, it’s been so cold (but sunny!) that those snow storms sweeping across the country are forced to dive south of me because we are in the cold high-pressure bubble, ha, ha.

My workshop shed door has literally been frozen shut since I arrived and I broke into it yesterday. Had to replace a few screws, nothing too serious.

This weather is delaying me! A warming trend is in the forecast. As soon as I can get outside and work, I have to wrestle 4 rotors and ceramic pads onto the old Grand Prix, change iridium spark plugs, and exchange some Dexron VI.

I bought the car on Craig’s list a couple years ago. Peeking through the wheels, the brake rotors looked pretty fresh when I got it, brakes work fine, but I have never checked pads, etcetera… Besides, I’m getting a little black dust from cheaper pads. I hate that.

I have all the parts and I have the right tools. I think I’m going to let a pro do the plugs in town today (They’re a bear.)

(I agree… why does anybody want to mess with this cold weather?)

Then in the next couple of days, timing my get-away between winter storms, I’m pointing that little beauty towards Florida and putting pedal to metal!

1 Like

For now. When the ice caps melt you might have an easier time.

I had too many projects (most not auto related) so today I farmed out the spark plugs and trans fluid / filter change… poor Fred up there kneeling on top of the engine for half an hour just to change the 3 rear plugs. My back was on fire just watching him from the waiting area. He earned the 79 bucks! You go Fred! ha, ha! May the force be with you! Good job, Fred!

The Grand Prix has all 4 wheels off the ground in the drive-way and the brake fluid is drawn down. Tomorrow as soon as warms up to near freezing I’ll hit the ground running and wrestle on the rotors and pads. I’m making the Grand Prix the best it can be at 110,000 miles. I’ve got to get out of here!!