Ambiguous car-repair terminology

I got to thinking about this topic b/c Tom and Ray hosted a caller on a recent podcast about a headliner. The caller said it was falling down and mussing up her hair, and asked how to get it to stay away from her hair and on the roof. At which point several ideas were tossed about, but it was never clear what is meant by the term “headliner”. The caller believed it meant the cloth material. Tom and Ray didn’t really say what they believed the term meant. Ray did mention removing the headliner might required the windshield be removed. For some reason the caller didn’t say “why remove the windshield to remove some cloth?” By the end of the call, the meaning of “headliner” was less clear than before the call. I’m not complaining, just asking if this imprecise terminology thing is a common communication problem between mechanics and their customers?

There is nothing imprecise about Headliner in a vehicle.

4 Likes

George might be the only person that doesn’t know what a headliner is.

4 Likes

Headliners in some 60s cars was glued to the roof under the windshield. Mustangs for example. The windshield must come out to remove the headliner. Or the windscreen if you are an Englishman.

And I can’t even think of what an Englishman would call a headliner if there was another name for one.

1 Like

The principle performer of the show.

Tester

4 Likes

A headliner is the lining that covers the ceiling of a car’s cabin . It’s typically made of a composite material consisting of foam and fabric mounted to a headliner board with an adhesive and possibly a few screws or snaps.

Being confused about a headliner would be like being confused about a Biscuit, if your gf ask you to pass her a Biscuit, do you say, I’m not sure what you mean by that? Are you asking about the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, butter, or milk? She is going to say, no you idiot, pass me the whole damn Biscuit…

5 Likes

An Englishman asking for a biscuit wants a cookie.

Two countries separated by a common language… :wink:

3 Likes

Well there are those things in wood joinery called biscuits. But I wouldn’t eat them. Even with butter.

Then again, I can’t thing of any reason “headliner” in the context of cars would be confusing. Unless it’s when I’m in the convertible with top down and I need something to keep the wisps of hair out of my eyes. (I’m a long haired person and need a hat if driving top down - a headliner?).

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve got a jar of those biscuits. Found them a hassle so for sale. Sounds like maybe the boys were the ones confused. I like to know the proper names of things but some people still think they have a rear fender.

1 Like

Well Frank Sinatra was a headliner in Vegas for years.

2 Likes

The headliner could be simply cut ogg with a tazor knife if you just wanted to remove it. I wonder if some spray flocking or popcorn ceiling material could be used to replace it. Of course if it was anything like the "work cars like I used to buy, you would just leave it out.

1 Like

Tom and Ray suggested that option to the caller, remove the headliner entirely, and glue something else to the car’s metal ceiling. Ray suggested shag carpet … lol … But Tom & Ray weren’t not at all clear that the headliner is more than just the fabric the caller was complaining about . I expect if the caller simply tore off the fabric from the headliner’s fiberboard, she would have been more happy w/ that method than with shag carpet glued to the metal ceiling.

Tom and ray may never have done this. The windshield comment might relate to how to get the foam shell out of the car. Having done a few, it can take a little manipulation but can be done with the glass in place. I’ve only done 2 door and an el came o. It would be easier yet with a 4 door hard top. Not to be hard on the boys but they are entertainers and information from 15 years ago should be verified.

You mean to say they never replaced a customer’s headliner with shag carpet glued to the ceiling? … lol …

Cars from the 60s and 70s and maybe 80s had headliners made from only fabric and metal rods stretched tight. Later cars had a semi ridged panel covered with foam and fabric. Usually the fabric falls because the foam degrades from heat and age.

2 Likes

Now that I think of it, I replaced the headliner in my 59 VW. It had the metal rods so no gluing or anything. A kit from jc Whitney. Don’t
Remember much else except pulling down the old fabric. Couldn’t have been too bad a job though.

1 Like