Amazing that trucks continue to hit bridge

After seeing all this, I realize that even good drivers get large rate hikes due to these morons and the large claims that they cause. :frowning:

Some years ago I was in Enid one Saturday with one of my sons.We had stopped at a convenience store on East Maine to get gasoline. While standing there a Mathis Brothers furniture box van went by with 3 young men sitting up front.

We kind of joked to each other about these guys making the turn on 10th street to get to the highway or would they go west on Maine and plow into the sharkā€™s tooth bridge.

After getting gasoline we headed that way and sure enough; there they were. Wedged under the bridge with about 8 feet of the box peeled backā€¦

That 2 hour ride back to OK City was a long one because they knew that they were all going to get canned on the spot.

Reminds me of the Maryland drivers I see in my area of Pennsylvania :unamused:

1 Like

I hope you are not just now finding out that insurance claims effect all policy holders. If you rates were based on your risk as an individual instead of being grouped with a large pool of rate payers you could not afford insurance.

Here in rural Mexico, country highways are often paved, but no real shoulder and in many cases, thorny plants extend into the highway. The right side of my Mexican Sienna has scratches in the paint the entire length. I will just drive it that way.

The Poplar St. bridge that carries over 100k vehicles per day for two interstates across the Mississippi River in St. Louis MO has obsolete elevated on and off ramps with very sharp, tight curves and severe banking. Semiā€™s regularly get jammed on those tight curves and occasionally end up dangling or even falling over the sides of the elevated ramps.

You will not probably not like my response.

You have a very distorted view of insurance companies.

I have a pretty low reasonable insurance rate because of my claim record.

I could say more, but feel like you would not learn anything.

I wish u a good nite.

Andy

Seems to me that the amount saved in the ā€œcostā€¦of an off-the-shelfā€¦ā€ GPS is not enough to pay for the ā€œbig-boxā€ that used to be on the rear of the truckā€¦not to mention the insurance premium costs to the truck owner, and the points against the license of the driverā€¦

But we all know that ā€œpenny-wise and pound foolishā€ is the way to go!

2 Likes

I once saw a similar bridge, but the city there put a long sign across the road. It was suspended only at the top corners. The sign said:

IF YOU HIT THIS SIGN, YOU WILL HIT THAT BRIDGE

I canā€™t remember where I saw it.

3 Likes

I have seen a lot of those singā€™s around the country, the last one Ican remember was in Columbus Ga.

what I can never understand is it is mostly always rental tkucks that hit hit those low underpasses gas station overhangā€™s.I have rented a few trucks over the yearā€™s all I had to do is give them my money & they give me the keyā€™s without knowing if I coul drive it or not.It would seem like they should give some kind of test & make sure you would know what the numberā€™s that tell the total height of truck meen.

Can you hum the tune for us?
:wink:

1 Like

There is a sign like that at a local parking structure. It has been hit so many times it is barely readable. The concrete structure is in about the same condition. Do the idiots think the sign is a joke?

You already answered your own question. The idiots are idiots.

The average IQ is 100. Half the population is below average.

If they saw the signā€“and ignored itā€“then, yes, they are idiots. However, the percentage of thoroughly distracted drivers has always been high, and now is even higher, thanks to drivers who pay more attention to their cell phones than they do to anything else.

Many years ago, I had a boss who had the disturbing habit of turning his head to talk to his passengers while he was driving, and he was a real Chatty Cathy, so his head was turnedā€¦a lot of the time. He was the type who probably would have missed that sign. He wasnā€™t an idiot, but he did a LOT of really idiotic things.

1 Like

UM - No. thatā€™s not what that means

Of course itā€™s not true. If half the populationā€™s IQ was below 100 and half the populationā€™s IQ was above 100 no one would have an IQ of 100. Itā€™s an old George Carlin joke.

Here is an example that is not technically a clearance problem but does involve a truck, bridge, and idiot driver.
Winneshiek County (Iowa) Engineer Lee Bjerke said he had no idea how the driver of the loaded 18-wheeler had missed the ā€œLoad Limit 3 Tonsā€ sign at the entrance of the small, rickety bridge near Cresco in May, but in seconds, the span was wiped out, and the tractor-trailer had become part of the Turkey River. The loaded grain truck weighed more than 30 tons.

I believe that would be the median not the average but then no one would laugh at it or understand it. As far as a test before renting a truck? I dunno what would that be? Seeing if they could read a tape measure? More effective would be maybe a $50,000 cash deposit to cover potential damage to bridges and canopies to be refunded when the undamaged truck is returned. That would get their attention although probably would reduce sales quite a bit. Everybody has a solution to problems so thatā€™s my solution. Next problem?

Half above and half below would be the ā€œmedian.ā€

;-]