Am I safe to take a road trip?

Alright, I’ll give my mechanic a visit and have him take a look. I’m just about due for an oil change, so I could kill two birds with one stone

1 Like

Good idea! :bird: :gem: :penguin:
CSA

With a 19 year old car I would give some serious thought to a rental.

I don’t agree with the need for a competent ‘mechanic’. Any experienced driver who has the habit of checking his car will also know if the belt is good or not. But, you do have to beware of dummies who boast. I would sure ask your father if he has driven a lot if he can tell if a belt is bad. Or search (e.g. - Google) for how to tell if your drive belt is bad. they will probably show pictures.

Traditionally most on-the-road failures were BELTS; HOSES; AND TIRES. Note I said MOST, not all. I do not know if that is still true.

In the last week of 1964 I climbed in my 1953 Chevrolet that I had just installed a rebuilt motor and transmission and took off a 2050 mile trip to Fort lewis, in the dead of winter. A 19 year old Toyota today is probably much more reliable than an 11 year old 1953 Chevrolet was.

Will Toronto rental companies let you drive a rental into the USA?

My comment was for the person driving from Alabama to Colorado.
As to your question, some agencies allow crossing into other countries.
The last time I rented for a long distance trip the rental agreement allowed me to go to Canada but not Mexico.

Last time I checked with my major insurance company they informed me I have very little coverage going out of the U.S. I think it was zero in Mexico and 50 miles in Canada. It’s best to check if you want to be covered.
CSA

Why? It’s been lightly driven at moderate speeds, mostly within a 10 mile radius of home, for 10 yrs with no problems…what do you think may go wrong?

Hey guys,

I have an appointment booked for this Wednesday.

Today, after work I took it upon myself to just take a quick peek at the belt, and to me it looks pretty good. All the groves are still intact; there are no cracks that I could see; the tension is pretty tight (can’t lift it up more than 1/4 inch or less with my finger); hardly looks used which kind of makes me think that perhaps it was replaced before I got the vehicle.

I’ll still take it to the mech, just in case.

I believe that those living at the border may with some companies with local offices, be covered like 10 or 15 miles into Mexico. But, generally US insurance is worthless in Mexico.

There are several companies which do sell temporary insurance into Mexico. I used Lewis and Lewis, which is actually only a US agent for Qualitas, a top rated Mexican insurance company. (Full disclosure: no connections of benefits received for reporting my personal use of their insurance.)

Also, Sanborns, but they will only sell you the same as you have in the US. And, when I was crossing into Mexico, I put my US plan at minimum required to keep it alive during my time in Mexico. So, I went with Lewis and Lewis.

The Lewis and Lewis plan was intended only for those temporarily in Mexico, which includes temporary residence.

I now, living in Mexico, go directly to Qualitas and buy considerable coverage. You don’t need it for most wrecks, since a human is valued, I think but am not sure, at $18,000 USD. But I go the whole hog IN CASE I SMASH A US TOURIST. :smiley:

Lewis and Lewis can be bought over the Internet, with a credit card, and you can print your own policy on-line, though they do send you a professional copy by mail. You can get it for a few states near the border, or for all of Mexico, which costs more.

I can drive my Mexican car into McAllen. I guess legally I can drive it all over the US, if I get insurance coverage, available close to the border on the Mexican side. It is not cheap and is intended for short stays. Mine tends to be, I forget, maybe $100,000/300,000. Not sure right now. Liability only. No collision coverage available.

I do not expect to ever drive my Mexican car past the 100 km treaty point. Getting harassed with Texas plates inside the US is bad enough. Imagine what those cops would do if they actually saw a Mexican car!

OP, you are about to become an expert! As soon as they install a new belt, OR tell you the one on it is okay, you will know what a good belt looks like. This is information, and I am serious, which will be useful the rest of your life. Except for those who went to professional mechanic schools, that is pretty much where most of us started. Over 50 years, little by little, we learned more and more.

Just from your description, the one on it sounds like it is a good one. But, for the learning process, carry on as you planned. If they tell you it is good, study it like a book, using your own description above and then you will know forever what a good belt looks like.

If you want to know more, and have the time, read this forum. At first you won’t understand much, but over time you will learn more. There are also books one can buy or check out from a library. The car part places also sell manuals for your car, in most cases. They are good sources of learning and information.

With all the new parts you installed, it seems like only the odometer has 131 km on it. Enjoy your trip!

I’ll post a picture of my current belt, just to keep everyone up to date.

Also, in case anyone wants to see what a good (or bad, I’m not sure yet) belt looks like.

Another photo

Sorry Douglas, but saying a belt is good or bad from a photo is not realistic at all. I thought you were going to have a mechanic look at it.

I absolutely am going to take it to a mechanic.

I’m just posting a photo so others can see the belt. Then when I hear whether it’s good or bad from the mechanic, I will be able to post it here to let others know

Your belt looks old and glazed, and considering its age and mileage, I’m not surprised

I’d just replace it. You got good usage

Your dad can probably help you get that done

Hey guys,

I took it to a trusted mechanic as well as the official Toyota dealership in Oakville, Ontario.

Their response was that the outside of the belt was glazed, but the inside (with the ribs) is still soft and is not cracked or missing chunks of any ribs.

Both garages told me that it doesn’t NEED to be replaced right now, but it will need to be replaced at some point in the future - which I’d say to be a few months.

Aside from this, there is one issue that even I didn’t see coming. The tensioner is seized, which was a fairly expensive repair when the Toyota dealer gave me an estimate on the total of the replacement parts.

To get that done, I’m going to take it to a garage in brampton. He is significantly less expensive on his parts and labour, and I have never had any issues with him in the past.

In the end, seems like it’ll be just fine to take it on this long road trip.

Replace the belt at the same time the tensioner is replaced and you are good for some time.