Aluminum Ford bed vs Chevy steel bed

Anybody with common sense knows you don’t drop cinder blocks into truck bed from the bucket of a loader.

Cinder blocks are loaded into a truck bed on a pallet with a fork lift.

So, it’s not real world.

Nice try Chevy! But then, GM has aluminum control arms where the welds are failing requiring a recall.

Tester

The empty toolbox making a hole is perhaps a little more real worldish, though I wouldn’t put dumping stuff like that into a truck from a front end loader out of the realm of possibilty at work.

Not a Ford hater, 2 of my 3 last trucks were Fords. F150, and a Ranger. My other was a Toyota.

They never showed the inside of the tool box.

Yet. it took two guys to lift it onto the Chevy.

It’s called, “Selling It”

Tester

And here’s GM’s plans for 2018!

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140219/OEM01/140219837/gm-readying-aluminum-body-trucks-by-late-2018-report-says

And I laugh!

Tester

Agreed, dumping the blocks is a pretty crude scenario but over a longer time, stuff happens that could make the same result. As an example, nail punctures could more likely happen to the aluminum bed when a heavy load of used, scrap lumber is being hauled and a large bump in the road is encountered. It would not be surprising if Ford makes a design change to the bed as this is a rather compelling ad.

As is often usual, a US company is pioneering and Toyota and Nissan are watching and may not choose to copy Ford.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, thought the video was interesing and car related. Tester you are on the top of my list for great posters here, and posted the video as something to be aware of about aluminum beds, nothing more. And a good bedliner would be worth consideration if my next truck is an aluminum bodied ford (edit) or Chevy if they switch to aluminum also.

But it’s different when Chevy uses an aluminum body!

I just thought I’d say that for amusement purposes.

I beat my beds up worse than that hauling wood out of the woods and hauling stone and concrete blocks. The transverse supports were curved down and the ridges of the bed were banged up. Over the long haul beds are going to get that much abuse on trucks that are used to do serious work. And any manufacturer would call it abuse. As did I.

The important thing to me is reliability over the long haul and longevity. Not how much damage a load of concrete blocks will do when dumped from a front end loader. I suspect most buyers would agree.

Rust? Look at any truck body in Ohio or mn! Having a non-rusted 10 yr old truck sounds pretty nice. Yes, frames are steel but the bodies fall off steel frames in MN.

My 1950 Chevrolet pickup rruck had a wood floor in the bed. This was true of many trucks of this time period. Wood doesn’t rust–it may rot, but it won’t rust. It won’t dent --the wood might splinter, but it won’t dent… I don’t know,wben pickup beds went from having wood floors to steel floors and now to aluminum floors. I don’t know,why the switch waa made to steel. I’ll take my wood floor bed back any day.

If you want to find the best vehicle , choose the one the other companies are trying to say they’re better than .

Saw a wooden firetruck once, story was a similar one caught on fire 1908 era I believe and the city bonded for a steel fire truck, course there was the fire station that burned down.

@Triedaq, how hard would it be to get some 1x? Oak boards (they were oak weren’t they?) and screw them to the bed of what ever truck you have now?

Does anyone buy a truck bed without getting it lined anymore? I haven’t seen a new pickup that is used for hauling that doesn’t have one of those spray-on liners (either factory/dealer or aftermarket) in years. I surely wouldn’t own a pickup to be used for hauling without a liner.

Heck, when I had a Ford pick-em-up, I would’ve liked a few holes in the bed so there wouldn’t be a lake back there when it rained.

;-]

Dang I used to go around a urn in my rusted out f150, swearing it was turning 2 different directions at the same time.

The rock dumping in the video may be a little extreme but it will be interesting to see how some of those aluminum beds shake out around here after being subjected to farm and oil/gas field use for a while

Three foot pipe wrenches, 5 gallon containers of lubricants, heavy cutting torch rigs, drilling rig bits, heavy log chains, and so on are routinely chucked into the beds

I laughed a little when I first saw this ad. I’ve also laughed at a few Ford commercials as well. I never take automotive advertising too seriously because they all have their faults…including Ford.

About 25 years ago some guy in MN or WI (I forget which) sued FOMOCO over one of their commercials.
Apparently the commercial showed someone hotdogging a Ford pickup through the boondocks at a fair rate of speed.

This guy did the same thing and buckled his almost new truck badly right behind the cab. His position was that if Ford was going to advertise their trucks being used in that manner then they should stand up to it.

At some point after that Ford toned their commercials down and whether the guy prevailed in his lawsuit I have no idea.