Alternators

I have had to have the alternator on my Ford Focus replaced at least six times. I only paid for the first one, but this is getting old. I think that it is happening again. Is there something making this happen?

You need a competent mechanic to completely analyze the elctrical system to find the root cause. A person who keeps replacing failed alternators is not a true mechanic, but a “parts hanger”!

I agree with Doc, but would add that the mode of failure of the alternators could be a clue also. It is possible that the pulleys are not properly aligned (the alternator mount coud be damaged) creating unusual mechanical stress on the front bearing or that the installation is improper…tightening the belt too tight can and does cause bearing failure.

So, the failure could be either electrical or mechanical. Either way, you need a competant mechanic.

Are you using “rebuilt” alternators? Sometimes, anymore, you are better off pulling a factory unit at a salvage yard.

If you actually saw the process by which your alternators were “rebuilt” you would understand what I mean…

Does your car have any unusual electrical loads, like a 6000 watt base amp?

Most recent cars have a belt tensioner, on them you wouldn’t tighten the belt too tight. Surely the mount isn’t damaged unless he has had a front-end wreck.

After that many stabs at it, this points to a failure to check the electrical system problem in my opinion.

It’s quite possible for a problem to exist in which the alternator may be blamed but the problem is elsewhere; faulty dash light bulb for the alt. indicator light, faulty wire connection between the bulb and alternatork, faulty alternator wire plug, faulty fusible link between the alternator and battery, etc.

Somebody is overlooking something; probably something very basic.

Check the body end of the engine to body ground wire if you can find it. Disconnect it and clean it. One of these days somebody is going to benefit from that advice. Some cars will kill the alternator with that wire disconnected.

Both true, but we know nothing about the car other than it’s a Focus. My point is that the root cause of the multiple failures rather than the failed alternator itself needs to be looked at, and the mode of failure could be a clue to the root cause. I’d assume nothing from this distance.