Alternator, bad? Definitive test?

Just installed a replacement battery. [ Yipeeeee! ] In a bit I’m going to run thru your 3-step procedure. I just want to note that I do not have a “shop” volt meter: the closest one is 55 miles distant. I’m using a little Radio Shack multi-meter. I hope that doesn’t present a significant problem. ?

Nope!

Just set it to read DC voltage, and set the range to 20 VDC.

Tester

Excellent. Thank you!

First test: 12.68
Second test: 12.73
Third test: 13.48

What sayest thou? (And I do really appreciate the help you’ve given me, sir.)

Those readings show a good battery and an operating charging system.

Tester

Thank you very, very, very, VERY much. If you ever find yourself ever passing Desert Center, Ca., on HWY 10, I would be excruciatingly happy to buy you a java or brewski at our miniature local market. Not kidding, sir. Christopher A. Steele, at your service. :slight_smile:

I don’t think you should post your private email address for all to see

I suggest you edit your post and delete the email address

If you have something private to say, click on the person’s user id and send them a private message, which the rest of us won’t see

This is a second warning! Edit your post and remove your email address. This is an open web site and our monitors agree that you should not post private info.

OK. Sorry. Didn’t know. I will endeavor to do so. Thanks!

I believe I entered my eMail only once, which I have deleted. If I am mistaken and entered it more than once, please feel free to delete any other post of mine with my eMail.

FYI, if I was supposed to have received an initial eMail to me citing the 'infraction" for a first time, I did not. I only received the second telling me about “…a second warning.”

Thanks.

Might be too late. NSA already has it and could show up on Wikileaks. Russians? Hilarious. It’s our own people. Remember the story about the porter at the airport that got reamed out by that nasty lady?

Ironic. I worked for the Agency for a few years, both “in the field” and in the main building at Ft. Meade, Md. (The Agency … well, they would have no concern about including an eMail address in a post such as I made here, but I guess “rules” are rules. :slight_smile:

Also had a brother the worked for NSA, as did my Dad (and a sister-in-law). Must be some kind of a record.

Those numbers look good when starting with a fully charged battery, which presume it is, since it’s new. But a new battery doesn’t put much load on the alternator. To verify the alternator is 100% up to the challenge, drive the vehicle a few days in your normal manner; then first start of the day do the experiment again. On the second test – right after starting the vehicle, with the engine running — try turning on the headlights to bright and the rear window defroster too. That should put close to a maximum load on the alternator & boost the alternator output voltage.

Brand new batter. Appreciate the added info/test. Will do and will report back. THANKS.

Your Radio Shack volt meter is perfectly accurate to use for this test. I can one-up you in fact. I use a free one they gave me at Harbor Freight!

Harbor Freight! Whoa! Lowwww standards. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Editing out text is useless because anyone can simply click on the “edit” icon and see the original post.

Of course you have a point

But I’m NOT going to say it’s a good idea to post your personal email address on a website visited by a bunch of strangers

If anything, he’ll think twice about doing it again, in the future, perhaps on some other website

So my comment was useful

Maybe Carolyn will see the comment and delete the guy’s email address :slight_smile:

Listing your Email address is not a message board violation. Volvo_V70 is not a moderator, he only pretends to be one. The former message board (before July 2016) had a place to display your email address in your profile, this one does not. The edit details will disappear after 24 hours.

1 Like

I know this is going to sound a bit sophomoric, or anal, but the only place to drive to in this dead “town” is the local market, a 6-mile round trip that I do once a day. Can you quantify a bit, please, the extent that I need to drive the truck over the course of a few days, please, in time driven or miles driven or whatever you feel is appropriate so that the next test phase will be “valid”?

Thanks, GeorgeSanJose!