All wheel drive wad

@autoowner
I wondered about the statement too but technically, @RAV4 is correct. In the older definition, 4 wd occurs when the center diffential is locked so 50 % of the torque is divided front and rear. On older trucks with out a center differential, this always occurs. RAVs are variable on demand in the Awd mode and only become locked in the 4 wd drive mode when the button is engaged…usually in deep snow. As explained, it would seem a correct statement using that logic. So according to RAV, Awd mode worked well enough so 4 wd was not needed.
Suffice to say, that RAV could have been mistaken by intent, but given the confusion that exists between these two system names, I give RAV the benefit of the doubt. Some define 4wd as having a low range which further confuses the issue…but, what the heck, it’s ok by me so I kept my mouth shut. ;=), til now.

The scientific way would be to conduct 4 tests, with each of the 2 cars twice, using both sets of tires. You would then not see mixed results.

Not very scientific, but they do do a good job showing what happens:

@bscar2
Still very good videos !

They didn’t have to run a hill test. Even on a flat, straight course the AWD RAV4 accelerated better from a standing start. I think that all they wanted to show is that AWD is not the universal answer to snowy roads. Many snow-nothings might think otherwise. I see lots of them on the highway near me going 55 and more in their SUVs. And it’s not just us. Folks in snow country do the same thing. I was on a business trip to Ogden, Utah and it was snowing big-time. There were several inches of snow on the ground as I drove through the pass into town. Some goof in a lifted SUV drove past the line of cars like we were standing still. I think that we are arguing about shades of gray. But keep it up! This is fun!

@jtsanders
I agree. There are too few tests involving hills, and most importantly, hills involving turning. The instant you power up the front wheels in snow of a fwd car, you start loosing steerage, immediately as the weight shifts rearward. Any slippage at all, and all steering is gone and the only way you get it back, is to let off the accelerator, which is the last thing you want to do on hills. Awd with traction control starts shifting power to the rear where it should be going up hills and you don’t loose steerage and you keep climbing. I can’t imagine climbing a snowy curving hill in snow as safely as in Awd. So IMO, it isn’t the winter conditions, it’s the winter conditions plus the terrain that makes Awd preferable. Without hills…I could live with 2 wd just about anywhere in a developed area in winter, as long as you have winter tires.
The biggest idiots are those with4wd but without snow tires who accelerate to a high speed the tires can no longer handle. I feel , that you should buy winter tires with Awd …probably more so because of the higher speeds you are tempted to drive. I argue that Awd can be safer if used correctly as you need not drive fast to make a hill or blast through a snowy intersection you may not be able to accelerate from a stop through…slow and sure is actually where Awd shines.
HAVE YOU EVER DRIVEN AN AWD CAR WITH SNOW TIRES IN SNOW AND ON ICE .?

Hey want something that will go in deep snow? get a Chevy Suburban with LSD and 4.10 gears and put the narrowest, most agressive,tallest mud and snow tires you can put on there(Armstrong Norseman would be good) should go almost as good as a Hummer-Kevin (IMO)

@dagosa

Auto-owner is correct, the OP’s RAV4 is AWD. It does have pseudo a 4WD lock function, where you can hit a switch and lock the center diff for a 50/50 split up to something like 15-20 MPH, after that speed is exceeded or the 4WD is switch is turned off then it defaults back to a typical full time AWD mode where power is sent to the wheels with the most traction. The OP was in AWD the whole time. There is no 2WD mode for AWD RAV4’s.

@RAV " did not engage the 4 wd mode"

@Autoowner “It does it without you”

@fodaddy
I have a RAV. It opporates just as I have said. I believe Auto-owner implied that the RAV was always in 4wd. If you read my post carefully, I was just commenting on the difference between Awd and 4 wd as defined by some. I was NOT saying that Auto-owner was incorrect, as in this day and age, even auto makers use Awd and 4 wd interchangeably. It use to be though, they were different when Awd locked becomes a defacto 4wd. I also have a 4 Runner. It does the same thing…it is in the Awd mode, not the 4 wd mode which technically locks the center differential if you use earlier definitions which I was giving RAV credit for.

I doubt that tires would make any difference what-so-ever in this case. The problem with this is it’s heavy wet snow…and you’re vehicle doesn’t have good proper ground clearance…the snow will lift your vehicle enough that you’ll loose traction. One reason a good 4wd vehicle with body on frame is better in deep snow then awd on a vehicle that’s unibody. MOST of the time a unibody awd vehicle is fine…but places like Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse…those lake effect snow storms can dump feet of snow in one storm.

I hear you Mike. Our RAV will float on snow and start swimming, long before a truck with the same official clearance.
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Arizonian_Pacemark_Snowtrakker_Passenger_Performance_Tire?sb=1
These are the ugliest, noisiest tires I have ever owned, but for 7 years they were the best snow tires we ever had.
They were just too LOUD to buy another set even though they ate up heavy wet snow like none other.

Were do you get these at Dag? Its hard to get a good mud and snow around here now,dont think you can even get a chevron tread pattern now-Kevin

Around here Tire Warehouse or Walmart Tire has them. They obviously are one dimensional but they do wear like iron and do the job. They are older technology with harder rubber and last as long as any all terrain used year round. They are more like AT tires with holes for studs.