Moving to Aspen - Do I need a AWD/4WD?

About 18 months ago I bought a 2011 Toyota RAV4 and opted for the FWD model, since I live in DC and didn’t have a need for the 4x4 option. Well, I’m about to accept a job that’s located in Aspen, Colorado (!), and am not sure if I will be fine to drive in the snow there with snow tires on my FWD RAV4 or not. I’m debating if I should buy an AWD like a Subaru Forester before I get out there, as I probably won’t be able to trade in my FWD in Colorado. I love my RAV4 and am bummed about the thought of getting rid of it, particularly since I haven’t even had it for two years, but want to make sure I’m staying as safe as possible driving in the snow. Any thoughts or advice? I’m originally from Georgia, so have no clue! Thank you!!

Get out to Aspen first, and decide after your first winter. Purchasing winter tires and a wheel package may be enough.
My family has three relatives who live in eastern CO and none of them have AWD/4WD, and do just fine without for over ten years.

You’ll do fine with a good set of winter tires on an extra set of wheels. I bought mine from Tirerack when I moved to Anchorage with a fwd GTI, and it did great for 12 years. You’ll have the same ground clearance as the awd version, and that’s a big plus. Just don’t go bounding into the wilderness with it.

I agree. You can always decide later if you need Awd. The 2wd RAV still has two things going for it. It has good ground clearance (better then regular sedans) and traction control on the front wheels. This gives you a quasi limited slip on the front which can be quite effective. Most modern cars have this feature now and reduces the need for Awd in many places. Snow tires further add to the effectiveness. You might be pleasantly surprised how well it works. If you ultimately decide on Awd, you will like it just as well as your 2wd as you will notice little difference in normal driving. Either way, wait and decide after spending a winter there.
It sounded funny when you said " I’m originally from Georgia so have no a clue" I assume you mean about winter driving ? ;=)

For what it’s worth, back in the day the Aspen police department used old rear drive Ford Torinos and after that used front wheel drive SAABs for many years. It was stated that the SAABs performed great except in times of heavy snowfall when the SAABs were a bit problematic because they sat so low to the ground.

Aspen is pretty much flat so unless you’re going to be living in some hillside addition you shouldn’t have much of a problem. Independence Pass is closed from November until late spring so you will not be going east for sure. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I’ll likely be commuting up to 30 miles each way to Aspen from a surrounding town, and would assume that the main roads would be well plowed. Just trying to think ahead of things I need to do before I move out there, so if I’m good to go with my car as is, I’m totally fine with that - one less thing to worry about. And yes, the Georgia comment was about lack of snow experience, not about being clueless in general. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I’ll likely be commuting up to 30 miles each way to Aspen from a surrounding town, and would assume that the main roads would be well plowed. Just trying to think ahead of things I need to do before I move out there, so if I’m good to go with my car as is, I’m totally fine with that - one less thing to worry about. And yes, the Georgia comment was about lack of snow experience, not about being clueless in general. :slight_smile:

There are very good winter tires available, I like Michelin X-Ice. They have good grip, a quiet ride, smooth ride, and are energy efficient.

You’ll have more issues with vision than traction if you have winter tires. You should use “winter” wiper blades that don’t ice up as much and learn to run a lot of heat into the cabin to aid in keeping the windows clear. Use the orange non freezing version of windshield washing fluid.

AWD isn’t perfect and sometimes gives driver’s too much confidence which gets them into trouble. Your FWD has traction control, stability control, anti skid control, and ABS brakes so it should be a very good vehicle in snow. I’d rather have a FWD car with winter tires, than an AWD car with the standard factory equipped tires. Meaning, even if you trade your current FWD in for an AWD you still should get winter tires. For me, the tires are the key to safe traction in winter driving. AWD is nice, but winter tires in Aspen would be essential.

I think Chrysler Corporation made vehicles designed specifically for Aspen, Colorado. There was the Chrysler Aspen ( and upscale version of the Dodge Durango) and the Dodge Aspen (a rebadged Plymouth Volare). I assume the Dodge version of the Chrysler Aspen was designed specifically for Durango, Colorado.
If you plan to drive all over the state, you will need to get a Chevrolet Colorado compact pickup truck.
Personally, I think you will be fine in your Toyota RAV4 with winter tires for your winter driving.

@ColoradoBound2013 I agree with others. We live on the Eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains and have 2 FWD cars with Michelin X-ICE tires for winter use. We have never been stuck. Your RAV4 will be just fine unless you spend all your time on back country roads, which assume you don’t.

Unless you’re heading out in the early am before the snow plows you’ll do just fine with good winter tires…just like half of the population anyway. They do a pretty good job of road clearing there and you’ll be as well off as most.

I lived in Steamboat Springs for a while and got by fine with a front wheel drive econobox. 4 wheel drives comes in handy at times, during severe storms, black ice, etc, but isn’t usually necessary as long as you are driving on well maintained roads and have good snow friendly tires. Any 2 wheel drive vehicle where the engine is over the drive wheels usually does well in snow. Before front wheel drive was common, snow folks liked the 60’s VW Beetle, with rear wheel drive and rear engine. That config (rear/rear) is actually better for snow than front/front, because when you go uphill, the weight gets shifted to the back so you have better traction with rear/rear. Course rear/rear is not as good going downhill, it’s a compromise.

Maybe ask folks who live there though first before deciding. Colorado may require 4 wheel drive equipment to drive on certain of the roads during snowy periods. Calif does this. Folks who live at sea level here will drive their front wheel drive beach cars up the mountains to go skiing, and get stuck b/c the tires are not appropriate for snow driving, which causes a big traffic jam. I doubt there are a lot of beach cars in Aspen though.