All wheel drive SUVs

My daughter goes to college in upstate New York. She drives a Honda CRV, all wheel drive. We recently bought a Toyota RAV4, also all wheel drive. The difference is that the Toyota has a “4 wheel lock” that the Honda does not. Does it make the Toyota a safer car in the snow?

If that was the only difference, it might make a small difference, but I bet there are other differences between the two systems greater than that button. Either will be fine, just make sure the tires are great, that’s more important.

It does not make it safer, but does make it a little more capable. The drive system on the CRV does not distribute as much torque to the real wheels as a RAV4. This is a slight disadvantage under load going up hill.
With out the lock feature, the torque requirements is constantly being monitored by need. This is good in slippery on road driving, but not as good in deep snow or mud where a 50-50 lock front to rear in the center differential, will allow more wheel spin, to avoid stressing the drive train. I prefer the locking feature for more off road work like the part time system used in most HD trucks.
CRV drive train (on original models) is simpler with clutches in the rear diff, while the RAV4 is a derivative of the (Torsen I believe) system used in the earlier Subarus which is outstanding.
Neither is true off road, so the difference is subtle and not a big consideration for most, though I would prefer it personally. I believe you will encounter more drive train problems over time with the CRV if you continually subject it to deep snow, mud or sand W/O this feature.
BTW, RAVs are still just center diff locked front to rear with just 2 wheels powered at a time and not true 4 wheel lock. That’s reserved for tractors, true off roaders, and real Humvees and other vehicles where drivers should know what they are doing to keep from over stressing the entire drive train.
Let me know what I missed guys or SU ed.
Both are excellent for up state NY where the snow, according to son in law, in some places is measured in feet and sometimes trucked out of town just to make room.

Keep in mind A/4WD will only help you get moving, it will not help you stop any better in snow or ice.

Thanks for your prompt and very informative reply

bscar nails it, it is more often a problem in stopping or loss of control that causes problems.

Fortunately, AWD cars offer better control in slippery conditions in cornering especially. Going up inclines in the snow while trying to take corners safely, or pulling into traffic on snow/ice covered roads, or making emergency maneuvers, AWD has no match in fwd cars. Don’t forget that the ability to accelerate and turn in slippery conditions, like in dry, is a safety factor.

Engine braking is better balanced as well. With winter tires, the best ones are absolute “animals” in snow and the safest cars on the road in bad weather when driven sanely and those of us who have them and equip them with the right tires know it.

With all due respect, thinking that a good AWD car only helps you “get moving” is an affront to the millions of people who actually bought one, thinking correctly they could do a bit more in safety. I think “pelirrojo” might just agree and feel better with a daughter driving one. Good choice of cars.

As some posters have already said, this isn’t a major factor.

However, make sure she has good winter tires with good tread. Also make sure she has extra clothing (especially a hat and gloves) and maybe a cellphone charger in the car.

Teach her how to drive in slick conditions,either car should be fine.I learned to drive in pickups with open differetials,you get a feel for it after awhile.Dont know how isolated it is up there,maybe she should carry a overnight emergency kit for bad conditions.
Not trying to steal this thread or anything-but what are the maintenence issues with AWD vehicles,I see metioned in this forum from time to time?-Kevin

As already noted, AWD will not prevent an accident of keep you from sliding off the road, but it can help get you to the road and help get out of the ditch after you slide off.

For safety and increased stopping ability and increased ability to stay on the road, make sure the car has four WINTER tyres during the snow season. These are not all season nor snow tyres. WINTER tyres are new technology and are far better than the old snow tyres on both snow and ice.

Very little if any on these cars. A few precautions that all cars in general should heed and an extra two at most differential lube concerns. Other wise, give them no thought and drive them like ordinary cars that in general use a little more gas.
Appreciate the better handling they afford, which helps avoid collisions and out of the ditches vs FWD.

And as previously noted, I for one disagree with your limited assessment of value of AWD with appropriate tires. I guess we don’t drive one with the right tires.

Key words being “driven sanely”. How many times have we seen 4x4 trucks/suvs barreling down the road at 80mph when the traffic is going 40, only to see it over turned in the ditch half a mile up the road at the next turn?
Thinking it’ll make you impervious to bad weather is what gets people into trouble.

And your point is…the safest car in the world can be driven recklessly. Remember too, the discussion is about AWD car based SUVs, not trucks and truck based SUVs.

OK, my SUV has an on demand 4wd, I am used to 2wd and consider AWD less safe. I have no studies to verify my claim, do you?

On demand 4wd is usually found on truck based SUVs which “jump” in and out when slipping with full lock 4wd. I wouldn’t like it either. Still not true AWD like CRVs and RAV’s which handle much better and have variable torque distribution. Is it fair to disparage AWD cars by bringing up the on road problems of 4 wd trucks ? I don’t think so.

Test Done by “Canadian Driver” publications concluded…which sum my feelings of AWD cars in general

North Vancouver, British Columbia ? If you?ve ever had the chance to drive an all-wheel drive (AWD) car in the winter time, you?ll know how much more stable and secure it feels on slippery surfaces than a front- or rear-wheel drive car does. It doesn?t have to be winter either: on wet or dirty pavement, unpaved or gravel roads, all-wheel drive offers superior traction, stability and steering control.

The trade-off is fuel economy, which is usually about ten or fifteen per cent worse than a comparable front-wheel drive model. AWD cars also usually cost more than their front-wheel drive counterparts. But the additional costs of AWD must be weighed against its significant safety benefits in poor weather driving conditions. In my mind, AWD is worth the extra money for Canadian drivers, particularly in the colder areas of the country.

Test Done by “Canadian Driver” publications concluded…which sum my feelings of AWD cars in general

North Vancouver, British Columbia ? If you?ve ever had the chance to drive an all-wheel drive (AWD) car in the winter time, you?ll know how much more stable and secure it feels on slippery surfaces than a front- or rear-wheel drive car does. It doesn?t have to be winter either: on wet or dirty pavement, unpaved or gravel roads, all-wheel drive offers superior traction, stability and steering control.

The trade-off is fuel economy, which is usually about ten or fifteen per cent worse than a comparable front-wheel drive model. AWD cars also usually cost more than their front-wheel drive counterparts. But the additional costs of AWD must be weighed against its significant safety benefits in poor weather driving conditions. In my mind, AWD is worth the extra money for Canadian drivers, particularly in the colder areas of the country.