Alaska ford start troubles

1992 Ford F150, L4.9 engine, 4WD, Fuel injection, Dual fuel tanks. The engine was operating fine then one morning it will not start. Temp was about ten degrees. After more heat and repeated battery recharge it reluctantly started. Runs fine for the day but the next morning will not start but with the repeat of the stated process. Changed in line filter did help in providing more power. Any suggestion?

“repeated battery recharge” sounds like bad battery needs replacement. All the other issues could stem from there. Load test the battery and see if it is the culprit before you do any more diagnosis.

Does recharge mean a good overnight trickle charge, or just driving the car? How many times did it discharge?

thanks for responding. I put a new and charged battery in and it makes no difference. when after some cranking and the battery runs down I put the booster on for more cranking power. at night if I have to I do use a trickle charge.

You need to check the choke, or in this case the engine coolant temp sensor/ECT.

Grab your VOM & see how the ECT resistance compares to the numbers at this link

http://www.kemparts.com/TechTalk/tt13.asp

DO YOU HAVE CFI WITH ONE OR TWO INJECTORS. IT COULD BE LEAKING AND FILLING UP INTAKE WITH GAS THE PLUGS ARE FLOODED . HAE THIS LOOKED AT

Leave the battery disconnected overnight. Reconnect the battery in the morning, and if the engine starts right up, there’s a current draw on the battery as the vehicle sits.

Tester

Some engines that are old just star poorly in cold weather. My olds that is a 92 and we put a anti-freze heater and that fix it and we plug it in when it is below 15 degrees.

qwerty may be on to something. Some, usually high mileage cars loose compression. They may still run OK, but they get at little difficult to start. How many miles on your car? How long have you owned it? How is the mileage, has it gone down, has it lost any power? You may want to get a compression check.

sounds like bad battery needs replacement.

Why do you say that?? The reason he keeps recharging his battery is because of all the failed attempts at starting it…that is a major drain on the battery…but has NOTHING to do with the problem of why it’s NOT starting.

Sounds to me like the OP has some MAJOR water in the line and it keeps freezing up. Add more drygas…Run the car for a while (like a couple of hours). Add fresh gas if possible.