Airbag light on 2000 Chevy Venture

I recently had a new intake gasket put on my Venture. The old one was corroded and leaking coolant due to the factory installed dex-cool (if you have it, flush it out and put in the good old green stuff). When I got the van back, the airbag light was on. The mechanic claims there is no way their repair could have caused it. Any suggestions??? I don’t want to pay a fortune to have a dealership run a computer check on it!!

If the light is on, the only way to diagnose the problem is to scan the computer. You should assume that the airbag system is disabled now that the light is on. Buckle up!

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee. 

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.

If your Venture has front seat side airbags and the seats are powered, you may have a loose connection under the seat. Check under both seats.

When the airbag light is on, the bag is inoperative.

I have a 2000 Olds Silhouette and one connector under the drivers seat comes loose once in awhile.