Air suspension

I own a '91 Lincoln Town Car.My air-ride suspension is not functioning properly and my HAYNES manual provides no information on these components.

I have replaced the fuse but dont know where to turn next.

HELP?!?

Describe not functioning properly.

Tester

Consider converting the air suspension to coil springs. For example:

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LINCOLN_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid2_pid8.html

Ed B.

It just doesn’t inflate.

Can you hear the compressor operate?

Tester

No simple answer. I’ve sold many a 250 dollar air spring and a few 400 dollar air compressors for those.
But it can also be a 2 dollar leak in one of the little plastic air lines.

A pair of salvage yard steel coil springs and you are back on the road…But first check the on / off over-ride switch usually mounted on the left side panel in the trunk…

Go to www.americanairsuspension.com. I replaced the bags and compressor on my '95 for around $300. There is also a lot of info on testing and replacing your suspension. You can also buy conversion kits if you want to eliminate it.

Is the air suspension light on? How long has it been coming on and how long has the back end been squatting down when you park it?

Most of the time expensive repairs if this system can be avoided if the symptoms are not ignored. You might be able to replace the air springs and dryer costing, tops, $150 in parts, and be in shape for another decade or so.

The trouble is that people ignore the sagging after sitting. The compressor works all the time and the dryer gets saturated. The system fills with water and trashes the pump and solenoids. An aftermarket pump with a lifetime warranty will set you back, probably $200 by itself. You can find packages including springs and pump for a little less. Shop around and go aftermarket. The Ford replacement parts are very costly.

Peruse these:
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00061.html
http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/RAS.htm

If you need to read codes from the air suspension module. You can borrow one here for the price of shipping and a deposit:

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/

Then, surf on over to www.crownvic.net, if you have questions. Even if you decide to install poverty coils, you will probably find the forum useful for other issues with your two decade-old car.

I would not install poverty coils unless the next stop is the salvage yard, but I like air suspension. The spring rate is superbly progressive, so it soaks up minor bumps, yet it can?t really bottom out in the true sense like coils can. It also makes sense for a passenger sedan since loads are variable. Ignorant mechanics are always trying to push coil replacements on people because they don?t understand how to fix the air suspension.

If the fuse was blown then it could be that the compressor has seized up and that is what popped the fuse. If possible, try to repair the air ride. Ride-wise it’s superior to a coil spring conversion and may cost less than the conversion kit.

I think there is one site (American Air Suspension???) that provides some diagnostic help for those without a scanner and if you’re going that deep with it, will even loan a scanner out free if you’re prepared to back it up with a credit card to assure they get the tool back.

Hi there! Well I ALSO have a 91 Lincoln Towncar. And my advice to you is to STOP trying to “fix” all the potential issues with regard to air-ride suspension! I have never been happier that I went and converted to spring/shock assembly!!! I too with all my previous Lincolns have had the air-ride and air-bag issues. Have spent a ton of money replacing…then to my amazement THIS WAS THE BEST THING I EVER DID! It cost me about 700.00 and she now rides like a brand new car! No matter what you do to “fix” air bag issues…there will always be “another issue” down the road with a car that age. If you live in a cold climate it will be one nightmare after another until you convert. Good luck and keep enjoying your “ride”!!!
J.J.

You got ripped off at $700. the parts for the conversion should cost less than $200, much less. For an experienced mechanic, it should take less than an hour to take out the air springs, install the poverty coils and unplug the module or cut the wire to the dash indicator.