Air Intake

My check engine light came on and I had it checked at Advanced Auto and it said it had to do with my air intake so I checked if it was leaking and the hose closest to the engine has a big rip in it so I taped it for now till I can replace it but how serious of a problem is this?

Has the Check Engine Light gone out?

Year ,make and model would help.

Is this thev large hose from the filter housing to the intake and looks like a shop-vac 's pleated hose. These can easily be replaced and are known to split with age.

Yosemite

2003 Hyundai Tiburon and the lights still on

You will have to discribe it better for anyone to answer your question.

I repeat;
Is this the large hose from the filter housing to the intake and looks like a shop-vac 's pleated hose. These can easily be replaced and are known to split with age.
I couldn’t find them listed thru the auto parts stores vthat I use. It may be a dealer item only. It should be easy to replace and not be too costly.

Does it look like his…http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Univ/Spectre/Intake_Tube/S719751.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain&intcmpid=Product+Listings+Best+Seller

yosemite

If you’ve sealed it up well it may take a few driving cycles for the light to go out.

Replace it.

Agree. Tape is only a temporary fix.

Not serious right now but you do want the car to run right. Some engines will have problems with torn intake hoses. Stalling, lack of power or fuel economy and maybe a few surprises. Get it fixed in a week or ten days and you will be better than average unless the tape catches on fire.

Any air that gets in after the MAF sensor is unaccounted for so the A/F ratio will get thrown off and the engine will not run right.

Sorry been real busy lately but thanks for all the info and the tape job made my engine light go off and I’ll be replacing the part very shortly, thx again.