Air conditioning

THE AIR IN MY 2007 VOLVO S40 IS BLOWING COOL AIR WHEN I FIRST TURN THE AIR ON, MINUTES LATER IT WILL CONTINUE TO BLOW LESS COOL AIR UNTIL THE AIR IT BLOWS IS HOT. I TOOK IT TO A MECHANIC AND THEY PUT FREEON BUT IT DIDNT WORK. WHAT COULD IT BE?

It could be many things. I suggest you take it to a real A/C - Radiator shop, not a general mechanic and have the fix it properly. Your local mechanic likely lacks both the tools and training to get it right. He may well have been well intentioned and what he did may fix (at least temporally 3 out of 5 cars with the problem.

Good Luck

Caps lock is not necessary.

If a recharge didn’t fix it the problem could be in the air control flaps under the dashboard. One of them, called the blend door, controls air temperature by directing incoming air through either the heater core or the AC evaporator, depending on the desired temperature. If this flap, or door, is malfunctioning it could result in exactly the situation you describe.

I agree with JEM, a shop specializing in automotive HVAC systems is probably what you need, instead of a mechanic.

I think the “teaming up” of the radiator shop with the exhaust shop works well,throwing AC work to these guys could be a bit “iffy”. The first thing that come to mind is the evaporator freezing due to some type of malfunctioning low pressue cut-off circuit. You say the charge was low,was any attempt made to find out why the charge was low?I do agree to change AC shops, this one had their chance.