Aftermarket Cruise Control Installation

I have a 2006 Toyota Matrix, automatic transmission, and am looking to get cruise control installed. I called the dealer, who said they won’t do the installation and I have to buy aftermarket parts. As long as I get the right kit for my model, are all aftermarket parts the same? Where would I go to get this installed? And is there any risk that this will invalidate my warranty? (I’ve heard the install is relatively simple, but I am definitely a car novice.) If anyone has recommendations of shops in Boston, even better.

Thanks for your help!

Try a car audio shop.

I’d Be Really Surprised If You Can Get A Kit For This Car.

I looked into putting a kit on a car I was looking to purchase, recently. I have to have cruise. It wasn’t going to happen. Even if I could find one, everybody advised against it. I passed on the car. It was a deal killer.

However, I had some kind of a Sears aftermarket cruise that was on an old Aires I bought. It worked great for the many years we owned that car. It seems the newer cars now present more of a challenge and there are more lawyers now looking for money.

By the way, when I was much younger, we would make our own cruise with a tennis racket or window scraper wedged between the seat and gas pedal. It was usually just for long trips of say 1,300 miles, straight through. It wasn’t real great on hills, up or down, or in heavy traffic. I don’t do that any more at all and I don’t recommend it to anyone. Don’t ask why.

If it isn’t a factory Toyota cruise control I would not install it. If you really must have cruise find a car with it and trade. A botched installation on an aftermarket unit could cause enormous problems, and, yes, it will most likely void any remaining warranty.

I Agree. You Need Some Clown Cutting And Splicing Wires In There Like I Need Tap Dance Lessons.

The complexity of a modern car, with very sensitive electronic controls interfacing for virtually every engine-related function, makes it EXTREMELY unwise for someone at an audio shop to start cutting and splicing wires to install an aftermarket cruise control system on a fairly new vehicle.

A few months ago, someone posted a problem on this board that resulted from the installation of an aftermarket remote starter on her Honda CR-V. That botched job resulted in a bill of well over $1,000.00 for electrical repairs–with no warranty coverage because of the aftermarket equipment and the botched installation by the audio shop. Naturally, the audio shop denies any responsibility. And, a remote starter is probably a little less complex in its installation than a cruise control system.

I agree that cruise control is a really nice feature to have, but if you can’t get a genuine Toyota system installed by a dealer, then you have to assume that any resulting problems will be paid for out of your pocket. And, a malfunction of this system could result in…throttle problems…while you are driving. I think that you can envision what that situation could result in. Do you really want to take these risks?

Simply Eloquent, VDC Driver!

It’s slowly coming back to me, but I think the car I was looking at was supposed to have its cruise in the steering wheel. Even if they made a factory kit, you could just imagine the cost of parts and labor. Can you spell “cost prohibitive”?

I believe that your Matrix is a drive-by-wire setup, and it already has the cruise control function built into the Toyota engine computer. All you need is the switch to turn it on and set it. Try AC DELCO Part #D1919E from RockAuto. About $35.

For how-to pictures.

About $40 at the most.

Tardis, I Thought You Were Joking. If This Is For Real, I’ll Eat My Hat!

Where do you put the push buttons? What other cars have this here new-fangled drive-by-wire and cruise control chip add-on feature? Any Domestics? I’m trying to learn something here.

I live in the woods, seriously. But on a 10,000 acre lake in the woods. I don’t get out much.

Many cars are now drive by wire or electronic throttle control. Why? Because it is another way to slightly improve gas mileage. Once the throttle is electronically controlled, it is only a matter of a little extra software in the PCM or engine computer to have a working cruise control (and some additional switches).
It used to be that to add cruse control you had a add a throttle servo, sensors, electronic controls, and some switches. This had some cost, so automakers charged for the option. Now everything is already built in except for the switches. They still charge big for the switches, because they can. Even the wiring for the switches is left in the cars without cruse control because it wouldn’t save enough to leave it out. They don’t really save much by taking the switches out, but that way they can force you to pay for the option, if you don’t know better.

If it’s not factory installed, it’s NOT going to happen, it’s as simple as that.

Caddyman, cars have changed since the 70’s. Look it up. All you have to do is to add the cruise switches to this model. Don’t take my word for it. There are several forums out there for these cars that have owner’s stories of how all they had to do was to add the switches.