Advice Please

Okay here is the deal:

My father owned a 1970 Mercedes 220D for many years. It was a great car! It had the big grill and he even added the large round fog lights. Finally after thirty plus years it was time to send the car on its way. Yet, I have always liked the body style of the late 60’s and early 70’s Mercedes. I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and I have two cars that I drive on a regular basis. This would be a for fun car. I have a hankering for a late 60’s or early 70’s benz. The 280se and sel are really turning my head as well as the 300 models. I would not even be opposed to a diesel, but it would not be my first choice. My Dad’s 220D was great but plug slow. I have been told the 280 really drinks gas. I know some have the six and others have the early 4.5 eight. What is the difference in speed and gas consumption? It doesn’t really matter but I was curious. Also, I think the early 450sel doesn’t look bad in terms of style. Any advice or tips? In general, I like that classic and elegant square body.

I’ve heard the fuel injected gas four and six are a good way to go, better than those with carbs, and that the six will use less gas than the v8. You might find a mercedes forum and talk it over there, I’m sure lots of older MB owners (and owners of older MBs) would love to help you!

Here’s a shot of my 1973 280 SEL 4.5

A great weekend cruiser, but NOT a daily driver. 11 MPG around town but would still hit 120 MPH.

If you have the bucks, go for a 300 SEL 6.3. Keep in mind the purchase price ($20k+) is just a down payment. Maintaining the air suspension will eat you out of house and home. The spring suspension 280 SEL is much easier and cheaper less expensive to keep running. Buy the best one you can find – a nice classic Mercedes is expensive and a bad one is even more expensive.

Twotone

PS: Spend some time lurking and learning on this web site before you buy:

ALL of these cars are “Money Pits” driving down the road. Many have had clever cosmetic restorations that leave the mechanical underpinnings is very sad shape. Falling in love with a “classic” Benz is the beginning of a huge transfer of wealth…

The OP said he had money burning a hole in his pocket. That won’t be the case for long.

Know that if I do purchase a car it will be well checked over by a trained Mercedes expert who is a friend of the family. My impression was that these could be fun WEEKEND CARS. It will not be an everyday car. I understand about the expense, but are there other things you can tell me about the cars. My father’s 220 was a great car, but that was because my father never let things go. It would be my hope to purchase the same sort of Mercedes. I would, of course, want to see the cars repair records!

The OP also said that this would be a fun car, not a daily driver.

There’s certainly nothing wrong with an older Mercedes as a hobby car. Get a copy of Hemmings Motor News, or check out the cars for sale on their website. I’m sure you can find something appropriate.

MB seems intent in making sure parts remain available, so that’s a plus.

Have fun.

Great car; I came close to buying one of those. A local doctor had bought it for his wife, but it was a stickshift, and she did not want it. The price was good, but my wife wanted a house, and the Mercedes would have gobbled up most of the downpayment.

The maintenance manual on these is a thick book; it calls for oiling the door hinges, which have drilled oiling holes in them, every 500 KM, or 300 miles. Not doing this will presumably make the doors fall off. A friend of mine had a Mercedes dealership at that time and he rewrote every maintenance book and summarized it for North American use.