Advice on reliable used car for 5K - Please help!

Dave,

The Passat (GLX) has 140,000 miles and a V-6 engine. It’s had other problems with the sensors/catalytic converter as well. I don’t know all the details, but know that we spent over 1K to get it repaired.

Thanks again for your help!

The average US driver spends betwen $1200 and $1300 per year on maintenance and repairs. If, on an ongoing basis, your costs are substantially higher, I would get rid fo the car.

Get rid of it for what? She has a small budget and wouldn’t be trading up-so what’s the point? This Passat would be selling for $9,000 on a dealer lot if everything was working and the car is clean.

The engine in this car should be good for 200,000 miles, so if it’s in rough shape someone hasn’t been doing regular oil changes or getting regular maintenance. That said, even if the motor goes too I’d toss a used one in. Plenty of engines and transmissions that are like new sitting in salvage yards from cars that have been in accidents with low miles.

If the car’s past history is one of neglect, and very high ongoing costs are incurred, it’s better to part company and buy an econombox that costs much less to maintain and keep going.

Years ago my daughter’s boyfriend inherited a used and not eell cared for BMW 5 series. He did not have a high apying job and the car’s upkeep was putting him in the poorhouse. I advised him to sell this money pit and buy a cheap compact with at least low maintenance and repair costs.

I’m trying just to save OP from the future financial hardship incurredd by owning an aging high end Volkswagen.

The Subaru Forester has a 5 star crash rating and may not be perfect but they are very reliable.