Advice - Had collision, getting conflicting stories on what to repair

Hello everyone,
I have a 2010 Infinit G37x (AWD if that matters) that got into a collision a few weeks ago and I am getting conflicting information and would like some advice.

So the collision was another car hitting the drivers front tire pretty hard. Hard enough to tear off bumpers etc… Anyway immediately following the collision the car seemed un-drivable, as the alignment was way off and there was a grating sound coming from that corner. At the time I had it towed to a local tire shop to have them look at it. The tire shop informed me it needed two tie rods, and a bearing on that side. They didn’t have the parts at the time to fix it, so I just had it towed to the collision center that insurance company recommended.

So the collision center fixes all of the cosmetic damage, however did not do any work to the suspension on that wheel at all. When questioned they state that they were able to align the car, so all of the suspension components must be sound. That if anything was bent, that it would not have aligned. When asked about the bearing they stated that on a test drive it seemed fine.

So I guess what I am asking is if I should be concerned and have someone else examine the suspension? It seems odd to get such totally different stories. Either the tire shop was wrong, or the collision center is wrong.

Any advice would be appreciate. Thank you for your time.

Take it back to the tire shop and see what they can SHOW you. Bring a video camera, and if the damage is as they say, submit the evidence to your insurance agency with a claims adjustment.

It is possible to tweak a car back into alignment with something being bent. In many cases a control arm is bent and this may throw the camber off which in turn throws the toe off.
Someone could screw the toe into adjustment while the camber remains incorrect.

As to the grating I can only theorize that maybe some sheet metal, plastic, or maybe even a brake rotor shield rubbing on a brake rotor due to the hit is the cause of that; or was if it’s gone now. No matter, a good shop should provide answers instead of making it a guessing game.

Did they give you an alignment printout? There’s always curiosity about before and after specs when an alignment is involved.

Same mountain bike, thanks but I can’t take it back to the tire place as its in another city.

ok4450 thanks for the advice. I am going to request the alignment printout, that is a great idea I didn’t think of. You are probably right about the grating.

I can only assume that the tire shop was thing to make a quick buck, and the collision center isn’t going to fix what isn’t broke.

I would think if anything the collision center would want to repair any additional damage to make some more money. shrug

Thanks again guys.

Take it for a test drive. If you don’t notice anything wrong immediately, schedule a visit with a local independent shop for a double check of the suspension parts which might have been affected. If you are forced to believe one story more than the other, I’d be more inclined to believe the shop that works with the insurance companies. That shop wants to keep on the insurance companies good side, so are less likely to order unneeded work.

But if your test drive indicates something remains wrong, noises, pulling, etc, you’ll have to get on it quick b/c suspension problems can create unsafe driving situations.

Thank you Geroge, that is pretty much my current plan. I don’t imagine the collision place that works with the insurers would half ass it. At least that is what I’m thinking now.

I am going to be paying attention like a hawk though, and request a copy of the alignment should I need it etc…

Thanks again.

If you take the car to an independent shop for an inspection, take any “before” pictures you have of the damage so they’ll have an idea of what they might be looking for.

For what it’s worth anyway, many body men are not that mechanically inclined. They can work metal, replace body panels, shoot paint great, etc but when it comes to mechanical principles involving the drivetrain, brakes, suspension, etc they may come up a bit short.

That’s not meant to denigrate all bodywork service people as I know some who are sharp in both areas but they’re in the minority.

Many body shops “sub out” the mechanical work. That’s probably the more common approach to the business than a shop that does both.

If there’s a shop near you that specializes in alignment and suspension work, I’d take it there for an inspection.