Adjustable Clutch?

Does a 2001 Mazda Miata have an adjustable clutch or will I have to replace it? I have ask a few shops around my home and they all give me both answers. One says no and some same yes. I would like to make sure myself before letting someone work on it and do unnecessary work to it.

If it’s a hydraulic clutch it’s not adjustable.

I’d bet money this car has a hydraulic clutch.

Is there a clutch fluid reservoir? If so, it’s hydraulic.

What’s wrong with the clutch? Some clutch problems do not require clutch replacement.

Most clutch mechanisms are adjustable, including the hydraulic type. The Miata clutch seems to have an adjustable push rod at the master cylinder.

I assume it’s slipping under load?
How high in the clutch pedal’s travel does it engage?
How many miles do you have on it?
How kind have you been to it?

The clutch mechanism being adjustable does not mean you don’t need a new clutch. If it’s slipping more promenantly in high gear, and if the clutch is no longer engaging until the pedal is at its high point in its travel, and especially if this is the original clutch, you probably need a new clutch. Once the throwout bearing has completely released the pressure plate assembly to clamp the clutchplate to the flywheel, it is what it is. And the pedal no longer engaging until most of the way up its travel means that the clutch friction material is probably thin at best.

Your two questions are not mutually exclusive. You could have an adjustable clutch AND need a new clutch. I’m guessing that’s what’s going on here.

There is only two adjustments you can make on the Miata clutch release hydraulic system. There is a push rod adjustment that sets the pedal free play. Then there is an adjustment for the brake light switch.

Yes you will have to replace it if you are getting slippage, shudder, or growling on disengagement.

Hope this helps.

I am also pretty sure its hydraulic but hydraulic clutches dont always have their own reservoir. Automakers got smart and decided to run the brake and clutch fluid out of the same reservoir.