Acura intergra---1988 a clasic!

Yea so I appreciate any response I can get. I have owned about half a dozen of these gems, the originals with the pop up head lights… LOVE EM…

What does it mean when the idle bounces up and down usually when not driving- but more so recently… Is this the dreaded Timing Belt that I am aware of in this model!!! Thank you, Jay O’Connor

This uneven idle is most likely to be a disconnected or leaking vacuum hose. If you open the hood while the engine is running and carefully (don’t let anything like clothing or hair get caught in the serpentine belt!) listen, you might be able to locate the offending vacuum leak by ear.

Incidentally, timing belts do not announce their impending demise in any manner whatsoever. The engine can be running very normally right up until the milisecond AFTER the belt snaps. Once that belt snaps, the engine repairs will exceed the book value of the car. That is why you need to adhere to the Acura (Honda) Maintenance Schedule. If you don’t have one of these, get one!

While I think that this timing belt needs to be replaced every 60,000 miles or 5 years (whichever comes first), you should verify this in the maintenance schedule. And, if this is the typical used car that came with no maintenance records, you have to assume that the belt is overdue for replacement, and you need to replace it yesterday.

You could also need a good tuneup (perhaps you have a misfire going on at idle) or even a sticky valve.

How’s the maintenance been?

Idle speed has NOTHING to do with the timing belt.

I don’t remember, are these cars fuel injected or carbureted?

Varying idle is often caused by a vacuum leak, as others have already told you. Start inspecting vacuum lines.

Where are you finding late-80s Integras?