Acura Integra Timing Belt Question

Hi everyone,

I just bought a used 1994 Acura Integra with only 30,000 miles on it. Even though everything seems to be in great shape and the engine so new, I am worried about the timing belt. I read somewhere that the belt should be replaced at around 90,000 miles. Is this true? Even though the car has been 'alive’for 15 years, should the belt still be fine until the 90,000 mile mark?

Also, should I check up on any other part of the car which can deterioate with age even though they have hardly been used?

I appreciate everyone’s feedback!

Mileage is irrelevant at this point.

The timing belt interval if you can dig up manual is 7yrs OR 90k miles whichever first.

Way overdue if never changed.

Make sure the tires have been replaced at least once beyond the coolant and brake fluid. Also if automatic change out that fluid too.

Helpful link on tires-> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

If the car still has an Owner’s Manual in the glove compartment, you will find that this belt was due for replacement at 7 years of elapsed time, regardless of odometer mileage. And, since your car has an “interference” engine, a broken timing belt will cause damage that will likely cost about $2,000.00 to repair. In other words, the damage will cost about the same as the total book value of the car.

Timing belts are composed largely of rubber, and as a result, they deteriorate with age, as well as with use. Did you ever find an old rubber band in a drawer and then try to use it? If you did, the old rubber band undoubtedly snapped because it had dried out and deteriorated just from sitting–as your timing belt has for possibly 15 years.

I strongly advise that you have the timing belt, the water pump, the belt tensioners, and the serpentine belt replaced a.s.a.p. A few days ago, someone posted his dilemma about a timing belt that snapped on his 6 year old car–3 days after he bought it, and if you want to avoid this type of tragic circumstance you will do as I suggest. An independent mechanic should be able to do all of this work for…maybe about $500.00, depending upon which part of the country you live in.

Then, after you have taken care of the timing belt and related components, you should have the transmission fluid changed. Unless you can verify that the fluid was recently changed, this can help to avert early transmission failure. Thereafter, change the trans fluid every 30k.

You should also have the brake fluid changed, because this fluid is hygroscopic (it absorbs moisture from the air) and it is likely contaminated with a lot of water at this point. That inevitably leads to very expensive brakeline and caliper damage and to possible loss of braking ability.

The coolant should also be changed in order to restore its anti-rust protection.

All of these recommendations are based on the absence of maintenance records. If you can verify that these procedures have been done recently, post back with details.

Now, start shopping around for prices on replacing the timing belt, the serpentine belt, the belt tensioners, and the water pump!

Basically you should do a 30K service per the owner’s manual on this car, and then add any of the items mentioned (like timing belt) to the list that are mentioned here. I think a 30K or 60K service model will catch all but the timing belt and tire condition.

Yep, replace the belt and the water pump. And while you’re at it replace the accessory belts since they will have them off anyway. Then you should probably replace the hoses at this point. If it were me I’d also do the general tune up which would include the fuel filter, air filter, distributor cap and rotor, and plugs. Then you are caught up and know what service has been done and when. The tune up items are generally 30,000 mile items.