Accord V6 bites the dust

If That’s not the first time a good joke has flown over my head, and it won’t be the last I’m sure.

I’ve been fighting the trend of battery-operated lawn equipment by using long extension cords, but a couple weeks ago I managed to cut one of them with my hedge trimmers. When I was a kid, our extension cords were always patched together because my father and brother frequently made this mistake, but this is my first time repeating their mistake in my 35 years of using an electric hedge trimmer.

Knowing how expensive, heavy, and short-lived rechargeable batteries can be has kept me using extension cords all these years, so we’ll have to see if it’s finally time for me to upgrade the hedge trimmer and leaf blower my father bought in the 1980s.

I will go off topic here but here is my statement about cordless trimmer equipment. They have improved a lot. I have the Cub Cadet 40 volt trimmer and blower set with two batteries. I can trim, edge and blow my yard and my elderly neighbors at one time. As for the other equipment do a search of the Stilh brand of cordless.

1 Like

@keith. My 2 stroke tiller is an Earthquake brand. Someday when I am in a good mood, I’ll fool with and see if I can make it run. I bought a Cub Cadet 4 stroke as a replacement. It is the same size as the Earthquake, but is lighter and much quieter.
@Whitey. I have Ryobi battery powered trimmer that my wife bought for me about 10 years ago to replace a cord type string trimmer. I really like the

battery powered trimmer. A couple of years ago, I bought a used Black and Decker mower. I had to replace the batteries last year a nd these batteries are getting weaker. The weight of the batteries make the mower harder to push than my old.gasoline mower. I think the newer models have lithium ion batteries and may be better. I am not completely sold on rechargeable battery mowers. I really did like the old two stroke magnesium deck Lawnboy mowers of the 1950s. I haven’t found a push mower today that is as good. To keep this car related, that includes today’s Honda mowers.

1 Like

The four stroke mower I recently bought for my mother’s house is a cheap Briggs and Stratton model that I’m pretty impressed with. The last one she owned lasted for about 20 years, and we finally gave up on it because of the routine carb rebuilds it required due to ethanol in E10 gasoline. The new mower claims to be able to handle E10, but I’m able to find ethanol-free fuel to use in it so easily that that’s what I’m using now. It’s already survived one off-season without needing a carb rebuild.

I would skip the V6 due to automatic transmission issues on very low milage cars. carcomplaints.com

Back in 2013, my wife volunteered my services to assist a family friend, a single woman, shop for a new car. Our friend was pretty sure she wanted a Honda Accord with the four cylinder engine. I went along for the test drive and the quietness and smooth ride impressed me. I thought the acceleration was more than adequate. My only concern was the CVT in the 4 cylinder model. Our friend drove the Accord to her house to test how easily she could park the car in her garage which has to be entered off a sharp turn off an alley. We then went back to the dealer and road tested a Civic. It was quiet and.smooth riding, but not as good as the Accord. However, the Civic was easier to maneuver into her garage. She felt the Civic more fit her needs. I was relieved because the Civic at that time did not have a a CV transmission.

But the very next year DID see a CVT for most of the Civic models, and it was the same body style as that 2013 model you mentioned

Wouldn’t you have to keep your foot on the throttle to keep oil pumped into a 2 stroke car engine? Top Gear did a tribute to SAAB when they went out of business, and the 92 was the first one they showcased on there and James talked about how, on downhills, you needed to ride the brakes but keep your foot on the gas to keep the engine lubed properly.

Time stamp provided in the link where it starts the tribute(if not, it’s 38minutes and 42 seconds into the video)

In one of the James Bond stories as part of the spy plot he’s stuck inside the USSR without proper documentation, and needs to leave quickly, so he steals a Russian made car someone has parked along side a rural road. He starts driving, only to find out after hearing weird noises that to keep the engine bearings oiled he has to push on a separate manual oil pump foot pedal every few minutes while driving. I guess the designers couldn’t quite figure out how to make the oil delivery system work, and had to start shipping the car. It’s a work-a-round!

By '67 many 2-stroke motorcycles had separate oil tanks and pumps that metered out the needed amount of oil. No pre-mix needed, and no worry going down hill.

My 2-stroke motor-cross bike of that era had that feature @texases . I put the oil in one tank, and the gas in another tank. The engine figured out the rest. It worked fine except at full throttle, when it would mix in a little too much oil and foul the plug if held at full throttle too long. As a teenager, I expect you understand, that happened a lot. I had to pull over to the side of the trail, remove the plug and clean the tip quite a few times.

The 2 stroke Saabs I remember were freewheeling so that releasing the accelerator was the same as depressing the clutch. Therefore the engine would be idling and receive enough lubrication with the the throttle plate closed. There was a control to lock out the freewheeling, but engine braking was only to be used in an emergency situation. Later models may have had a separate oil reservoir and metered in the right amount of oil for the rpm of the engine.