Accord Serpentine belt. how much is reasonable?

You can get an aftermarket pump for half that, or less. You will need to determine if this is something you want to tackle by getting a repair manual and looking over the procedure. There isn’t a lot of room to work, especially with a V6. But I believe the PS pump is at the top of the engine.

You should flush the system, and you MUST use only Honda-approved power steering fluid.

I agree with NYBo on this one.
The pump is, I believe, readily accessible on this engine, but you should get a repair manual from the parts store and read it over carefully.

There’s no magic here. The system is not sealed, as an AC system would be, and not pressurized when the engine is off, as a fuel system would be. The fluid is simply pumped through the system constantly, and when you turn the wheel a “spool valve” directs the fluid to one side of the rack piston or the other. When you straighten the steering, it goes back to just being circulated by the pump. There’s no depressurizing to worry about, no purging of air, none of that.

I’d drain the reservoir with a $1 turkey baster, and place a $1 aluminum roasting pan under the area to catch any runoff. Then when you’re done, simply refill the system with fresh fluid, cycle it with the pump, turkey-baste and refill again. Run it, shut it down, and refill it to the FULL mark on the reservoir.

As a matter of fact, I think the PS pump on this might operate on a separate belt forward of the serpentine belt and is tensioned manually. If I’m right, you may not even have to remove the serp belt to replace the PS pump. You might replace the PS belt while you’re there if there’s cracking in it when you turn it over to inspect.

But, again, get a manual. Don’t ever trust the word of a stranger on the internet. And I may be even stranger than most. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Let us know how you make out. We do care.

Yeah it depends on how bad the access is to the pump. The only one I did was right up on top and just a few bolts. If you can’t get at it though, that’s a problem. The other thing is a lot of the pumps come without the pulley so you have to take the pulley off the old one and put it on the new one. That means you either need the puller or take it to a shop to have it done for $10-20 (recommended). Also you need to flush the system afterward.

Thanks guys. :slight_smile: