Accidentally went into manual without noticing

Coincidentally, I did that recently with my mother’s Jetta, but I didn’t push it that hard before I noticed, so I didn’t get any warning lights.

The lesson to be learned here is to pay closer attention to how your car is behaving, so you’ll notice it isn’t shifting gears.

Does car have auto trans?
Don’t know what manual mode is for auto trans?

it’s almost like a slap shift, i never use it.

The 2011 TDI Jetta should have the 6 speed DSG dual clutch automated manual. It’s not a traditional automatic in that there’s no torque converter. It’s basically an automated manual transmission where the clutch is operated by a computer (there’s no third pedal). It shifts faster than a regular automatic and is nearly as efficient at transferring power as a manual, but they typically aren’t as smooth-operating as a regular automatic and tend to be less reliable.

Have you checked to see if you still have an accessory drive belt, aka fan belt?

sorry for wanting to get as much opinions on it as possible ? lol

The opinions will be the same as before. This car needs to be seen by a real mechanic. This is not going to be a driveway fix via internet advice to someone who doesn’t even know how to check the oil.

If you play your music so loud that you can’t hear your engine revving at full throttle, how are you going to hear a fire truck, police car or ambulance?

6 Likes

Getting responses on a message board is a lot like fishing. You cast your line, then wait. I hope you find a sensible resolution to the issue you are experiencing. I’ll go back to lurking.

Said i checked my oil less than a month ago. music was loud because it was 6:30am and i was try to get woke up for my finals exam. sorry i don’t have all the money and was seeing if possibly it could be almost a driveway fix. sorry me posting it twice offended you.

i had an older 4 spd manual trans car with no over drive and i drove 30 miles or so at 60mph in 3rd gear. forgot to shift. uh, it was late at night. no issues that i recall. no, the car did not have a tach.

Being passive aggressive is not necessary here. We are friendly and provide answers for free.

The old fashioned way to wake up for a final exam was th get to bed early the night before not blast your music so loud you can’t hear emergency vehicles. Or do you think they shouldn’t be on the road at 6;30 am.

The world is not about you.

The reason I said you did not know how to check your oil is because you posted that you checked it with the engine running.

4 Likes

looked back and didn’t see the part where i said the world is all about me? weird. from the sound of it your username fits you perfect. Hope you have a good christmas!

1 Like

Have you gotten the car towed yet? What did the shop say?

Sorry, but once a month isn’t often enough on this car. I recommend checking it at least once a week after what it’s been through.

2 Likes

if i had paid 1800 to replace parts due to oil sludge issues i would probably try to do a few short interval oil changes to get as much crud out of motor. maybe 1 month or 1k miles. but that is apart from your current issue.

1 Like

Tucker, don’t be too hard on yourself. I test cars for a living and I accidentally slap them into manual sometimes too and wonder “Do other drivers do this? Does it hurt the car if they don’t realize they are holding a gear?” It’s not just paddle shifters either. I’ve bumped the gear selector and had it happen. Most brands will automatically revert back to “auto”, but not all do. Lexus, for example, will hold a gear at the redline only for a moment before it reverts to auto mode.

not yes i think i am today. it’s been snowing where i live and most of the towing companies have been closed bc of the roads being so bad

That’s one of the things that bothers me about the auto-stick automatics. The ones I’ve experienced do too much babysitting for my tastes. The Toyota variants will downshift automatically even when in manual mode (if you’re in say 4th or 5th in manual mode and stop on the accelerator the transmission downshifts despite you not requesting it.). They also go back to first when you come to a stop, and the responsiveness when you do command a shift (up or down) isn’t exactly prompt. You can upshfit , but then a “one Mississippi” later the transmission serves up a slow, flaccid upshift.

The automated manuals that I’ve experienced seem to rifle off much more quick, positive shifts.

But old timers and young timers know how to check the oil correctly.
“Said i checked my oil less than a month ago.”
But when you checked it after the incident you checked it with the engine running.

2 Likes