Hello, all. I’ve got an issue with my AC.
Current issue: AC does not blow cold. I can hear/feel that the compressor is not turning on. Background below.
Background: Approximately a year ago, my AC was working only intermittently. On days when it was less than 90°F or so, it worked fine. On days when it was higher than that, the compressor would switch on and switch off every few seconds for maybe ten minutes, then it would usually stay on and work for the rest of my drive. It could have been just a coincidence that the compressor would work or not work based on the outdoor temperature, but it certainly seemed to be that way over a month or so of observation.
A mechanic friend theorized that either I was low on freon or my low pressure switch was bad. The freon was the cheaper option, so he charged it. He did not, however, trust his pressure gauge to accurately determine the pressure, so he was not sure if it needed freon or if he put the right amount of pressure in. The problem persisted, though the hot season passed and it was no longer something on my mind.
This summer, it gets hot again and my AC is working fine. The compressor was not doing the thing where it turns on and off, it just stayed on. Then, a week ago, after no change that I am aware of, the compressor will not turn on at all regardless of the outdoor temperature.
My completely unqualified theories:
- Bad low pressure switch. I don’t know what that would look like, but someone more knowledgeable than me said it.
- Freon leak. But why would it have worked just fine for a few months up until a week ago?
- Freon pressure too high. But again, why was it working before the last week?
- Air in AC system. Other than getting freon added by a friend, I have never had any proper AC maintenance, so maybe?
- Electrical issue with compressor. This sounds the most expensive, so I am actively trying not to believe it.
So, has anyone got any wild theories? Maybe a course of action I should follow? Any ideas would be appreciated.