ABS Issue On My 2003 Nissan Altima

I brought my 2003 Altima 3.5 SE to dealer because I was having a problem with ABS acting like the wheels were locking up at low speed when in reality they are not. They told me I needed a new right rear brake ABS sensor and ABS actuator (controller) which would be approx $2K for parts & labor. I had the right rear sensor replaced and picked up a salvage ABS actuator and the problem is still there. I have also heard since then that the sensors must be replaced in pairs. Any thoughts or confirmation on this ?

When the brakes are applied everything works as designed. As the car slows down the ABS activates as you reach low speed just prior to coming to a stop. Thats when the clunking sounds occur (ABS has activated) The wheels have not locked up so the ABS should not activate. Please advise… Thanks very much… what is the fix/solution… I don’t really want to spend several thousand dollars to fix this…

Some recent feedback I have from a Nissan technician… What you need to do, is to drive the car with a scan tool and monitor ABS sensor readings. Most likely you have a sensor fluctuating, which will cause the ABS to activate. When replacing ABS sensors, rear hubs should be checked and cleaned. Most cases rust builds up on the hub. So the rust changes the gap for the sensor to read. Then the rust hits the sensor shorting it out, which can cause the ABS actuator to fail. So I would have the work double checked. Also have the G-Sensor and Steering angle sensor calibrated. ( What does this have to do with ABS issue ? )

Also have the G-Sensor and Steering angle sensor calibrated. ( What does this have to do with ABS issue ? )

Both these items apply to the ABS system if your car is equipped additionally with stability control. Stability control is an extenstion of ABS and uses those two sensors into a computer to determine if an individual brake should be actuated in case of skid situation.

My Altima 2003 SE does have the (TCS) Traction Control System