Abandoned car in NY

The usual response would be to consult a lawyer from NY. By the way, know any good pizza places up there? I assume up in the hinter land up north. Stick around though, it’s really fun when the name calling starts and mothers are brought into it. Duck when the donuts start whizzing by.

3 Likes

Stomp your feet a little harder. I can’t hear them yet.

2 Likes

I’ll take the sprinkled donut in the upper left

:yum:

I will make a fresh pot of coffee,

Nope, Boston Cream or nothing.

Apple fritter here.

1 Like

Maple bar longjohn and applesauce donut.

1 Like

Sorry John, in the spirit of the original show, things go off tangent quite often. Please sit back, enjoy the humor, and pass me a bismark.

1 Like

That is the problem, the questions are too difficult. Without knowledge of the topic certain regulars on this message board must reply with discussion about rust, economics, a theft in 1962 and food.

To see a dozen people protest their right to go off topic is a fine display, that will earn respect. This can’t be described as a “friendly” message board.

You and my grandson would have to fight over it. I’m partial to long johns myself. No point yelling to get off my grass, it’s all covered in snow.

To bring it back to mechanical devices I couldn’t get my snow blower started. Finally took the cover off to check the plug and found out I forgot to put the wire back on last spring when I changed it. Old age.

But you figured it out and fixed it all by yourself

That’s the takeaway

Good job

:+1:

I would never do anything as stupid as forgetting to put the plug wire on before starting.

What I did for years was to pull my arm out every fall by forgetting to open the furl petcock on my 1972 ,8 hp blower. I took care of that problem by putting an electric strter from a 6 hp that someone was throwing out. I still don;t remember tp open the petcock, but now it only hurts my pride.https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/hugs.png?v=9

Heh heh, years ago and several snow blowers ago, I had overhauled the carb. Then wouldn’t start. Frustrated I overhauled it again figuring I screwed something up. Then come to find out I didn’t turn the gas on. That was before electric start too so I had a sore arm.

OK, I’m not an attorney but to bring this topic back on topic and having experience with this sort of thing …

1. There is no “Finders keepers, loser weepers” provision in the law.
  2. Generally, abandoned cars must first be reported to the police and the DMV to give the owner an opportunity to reclaim the vehicle.
  3. If they fail to do so, generally the car is assigned to auction where the “market value” is decided. (Most often scrap value and the vehicle is disassembled)
  4. And while certain jursidictions may offer Bondholder provisions, getting the Bond ain’t cheap.

So the real question is whether acquiring an abandoned 12 year old Bronco for “nothing” and spending at least $10,000 to get it to minimal working condition is worth the time and legal fees to be able to title it?

My advice would be to let it be towed to auction and with your inside information , if the price is reasonable, place a bid and that way you can get a clean title without a lot of “who struck John”.

Kinda what I said back in post 4 and again in post 31 but hey onward onward.

Yes but your advice would result in no truck, rather than having the truck towed away it would be better to track down the owner.

If this is in a populated area there will be at least 100 bidders at the auction to compete with. The tow yard doesn’t have to let this vehicle go for a few thousand dollars, if they don’t have the right to bid on the vehicle they might send in a shill to bid on it. I gave up on towing auctions years ago, better deals can be had on the open market.

I live in Western NY and no po;ice department near me is interested in towing an abandoned car off your property. If there is a complaint, you will get a notice that You will have to get the car off your property but registered wrecking yards want a title to accept them. There are guys who make a living under the table scrapping cars, by parting them out and scrapping what they can’t sell.

I had a friend who lives in Amherst NY in the most rural part. He had 2 Olds diesel cars, his daily driver and a parts car. When He decided tp sell them he put an ad in the paper.

Some lady came , paid him for the cars, took the title and registration, and said she and her husband would be back the next week after the registered the cars and got insurance and plates.

He did not have any contact information for her and could not even remember her name. after 2 months he called the Amherst police to find out what to do. They had no interest in the cars but told him that if he pushed them out in the street they would have them towed away and send a ntice to the registered owner that the cars were impounded and generating towing and storage fees. He said, that is no good, I am the registered owner.

After 2 years he went to the DMV, and they told him to put a notice on the windshield and take photos of the notices. He did that and after 50 days they said he could get new titles by filing mechanics liens for storage. He did that and then junked the cars.

Man, I haven’t heard that term “shill” used in quite awhile . . . but I like it

:+1:

Now that you’ve brought up a term which some may consider outdated, I just remembered another one

skell

I shared a shop with a guy who would frequent the towing auctions, he would complain about the shills because he could recognize them and they wouldn’t allow him to buy a misfit vehicle that no one would bid on for $100.

Never heard of that one. I’ve got nothing to add but If I were that guy with a truck sitting on my property for 12 years, and no easy way to get it out of there, I’d be a little irritated, gem or no gem.

1 Like