Abandoned car in NY

This is how folks have operated here for a long time, and it’s true we often get posters who don’t return (it can be debated why) and digressions were kind of baked into the car talk model, but there’s got to be a better way to respond to OP’s comment than “too bad, we are going to talk about what we want.”

It is the nature of chat boards. Always has been, and likely always will be.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s interesting to hear about the best fish and pizza places though even if off topic a little. But then as some would say “get off my grass”.

I have been looking around and found some places that I can apply for a bonded title for the bronco in NY. Sounds like I’d have to get a value from DMV and the bonded title would be good for 3 years, then if no claims I could request the bond be removed. Has anybody done this?

As for the value/worth it to restore. That depends on various stuff. The condition is actually pretty good. Not sure if the current drivetrain would be able to be used, but that doesn’t matter as I have period correct drivetrain already that can be put in. First generation Broncos are collectable and worth redoing. Most are being done as restomods and bring in anywhere from $30,000 to six figures depending what and how it’s done up. I am not looking to flip this one, but it would be used as a beach type truck at my families vacation housing. All of this info I just wrote has nothing to do with my question. Part of the reason people will leave and not post in places like this is because when we ask a simple question, people right away start with it’s not worth it fix up or crap like that. You’ll find you get more people staying and contributing if you just reply with worthwhile responses.

First of all John you are over reacting to responses you get . Sure some of them might not be to your actual question but as long as they are not abusive or insulting does not mean they are not trying to help.

As for finding some one who has done a bonded title on a forum such as this is really low.

2 Likes

I never said anything about abusive replies. I said something about wasting time with responses that have nothing to do with what I asked.

This is a car forum so that’s why I figured I’d ask here.

I was also surprised at your response. You asked about a 50-year old rust-prone vehicle in a rust-prone state, apparently abandoned for 12 years in (it would seem) rust-prone conditions, and you’re surprised we wondered about the condition of the Bronco? We get plenty of folks asking questions here about restoration projects that didn’t think of all the issues they’d be dealing with.

And remember, you’re asking strangers for help, for a favor, and you got it. Just take what you like, ignore the rest.

3 Likes

Sounds like a distorted use of the intention of a bonded title. They are normally used when you have no other means to prove you bought and legally own the vehicle, like a lost title for example. Not when you have taken adverse possession of abandoned property. Note the attempt to contact prior owner as a first step and the fact you will forfeit your bond if found to be fraudulent.

Here’s a brief explanation of the process- https://www.jwsuretybonds.com/license-bonds/vehicle-title-bonds/new-york-bonded-title

2 Likes

It is actually a fairly common occurrence that someone buys a house and there is an old vehicle on the property, or someone buys an old car without the title, and subsequently decides that they do want to title and register it in their name. Also, some states do not offer titles for vehicles past a certain age, and when those cars are brought in from out-of-state, there will be a break in the chain of title. People here (in Arizona) frequently offer such vehicles for sale on Craigslist with no title, just a bill of sale, and as long as there is no lien against the VIN, you can certainly pursue the bonded title process.

How exactly is one to contact the prior owner? Here in Arizona, the state will not disclose the owner’s name or contact information without a court order. If you are a private person trying to title and register a vehicle without a valid title, or if the title was not properly notarized, or if some mistake was make filling it out, the only recourse available (other than contacting the previous owner and asking them to request a duplicate title on your behalf) is to file for a bonded title.

Did you bother to read the link article? I don’t make the law, just showed how it is applied. Apparently, in NY it is different from where you live. In NY, you have to attempt to contact prior owner. Secondly, it illustrates the purpose of using this mechanism to prove you own it. In this case, the person clearly doesn’t own it, yet. Neither does the property owner where the vehicle is located.

Perhaps I should apply for a bonded title on that Lambo the neighbor just bought. When he sees me looking at it I’ll just tell him I’m just checking on the car I’ll own in 3 years from now… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I considered going through this process for a 1992 Dodge Shadow that I saw advertised on Craigslist. The fact that the vehicle was old, not particularly valuable, and had clearly been sitting made me believe the seller’s explanation of how he acquired it, and I am sure that had I purchased this car and filed for a bonded title, there would have been no problem. Obviously, if someone was trying to sell a car which is less than 15 years old without a title, or a model which is considered valuable or collectible, then common sense would dictate “no title, forget about it”.

Like I said, seems to me the short process is to have the friend call the Sheriff to have it towed. Then when it comes up for auction, bid on it. If the bids go up to thousands of dollars, let the other guy have it. Geez they auction hundreds of cars every winter in Minneapolis that were abandoned or not picked up from the impound lot in time. There is no reason a person has to tolerate having a car parked on their land for 12 years.

1 Like

Getting rid of the truck is easy but I think someone is interested in keeping it.

If you are not satisfied with the quality of the answers you can always ask for your money back.

3 Likes

“I was also surprised at your response. You asked about a 50-year old rust-prone vehicle in a rust-prone state, apparently abandoned for 12 years in (it would seem) rust-prone conditions, and you’re surprised we wondered about the condition of the Bronco? We get plenty of folks asking questions here about restoration projects that didn’t think of all the issues they’d be dealing with.”

Surprised because I wanted to keep this on topic???
I asked about if there was a legal way to take ownership of the Bronco. What does it matter about the condition to you? Did I ask if you wanted to buy it? Did I ask what you might think of the condition? The condition of it has nothing to do with what asked about.

That being said I will no longer come to this site for anything as it’s a waste of time and people can’t seem to just answer a basic question. if you don’t know the answer then don’t reply. Plain and simple or so I thought. Thanks to the one or two that answered my question the best they could.

Another person who has no idea how forums work . Why is it so hard to accept that someone might make a reply that points out something the asking poster might not have been aware of .

4 Likes

I understand how forums work. You post a topic and people reply to said topic.

Why is so hard to just answer a question that’s asked and only answer what’s asked? If I wanted input on restoring it or if it’s worth trying to attain it then I would’ve asked about that. Replying that it’s probably a rust bucket jut because it’s in NY and been sitting for a long time has nothing to do with my posted question. Why bother asking about something if the only answer you’re going to get has nothing to do with what was asked???

Somebody asks a question and you answer said question. if you don’t know the answer you don’t answer. pretty simple concept.

You may have missed it - this is the “Car Talk” forum: we talk about cars, we ask about cars, we go off on tangents about cars. That’s how this (and every other forum I’ve seen) works. Someone asks a question and waits for the answers that provide what they need. You must understand that VERY few folks are knowledgeable about the car title process for abandoned vehicles in NY, right? So asking related questions should be expected. You really don’t get it.

5 Likes

Think of it like sitting in a coffee shop with a bunch of guys (like we used to do), and you ask the question. Do you really expect that you could enforce the parameters of how someone might respond? Then when the comments stray you get mad and decide you aren’t going to eat donuts with these people anymore? Is that really your world?

2 Likes

+1
Additionally, if a forum member claims to know about the legal process for abandoned vehicles in another state, if the OP follows that advice but that forum member is wrong, then the OP is going to have some legal problems that could be avoided by simply asking the correct parties, namely those in the state’s DMV or the state AG’s office.

Legal advice that is free and from anonymous people with unknown credentials is usually worth exactly what someone paid for it.

4 Likes