AAA maps

frank perdue used to drive with a newspaper on the steering wheel, I saw him more than once leave his office, open up the paper and zoom off

@wesw‌

That might no go over the way you’d hope. From Mexico’s perspective, we’ve been occupying that country bit by bit…statehood for the rest of Mexico is probably not welcomed (at least on a nationalist basis).

Of course, that opens the question are folks today sufficiently patriotic as to favor nationhood, even if it hits 'em in the pocketbook. Frankly, I doubt it.

Wasn’t too many years ago that Mexico was encouraging invasion of the US through Mexico. The Japanese wouldn’t do it though saying in Texas there was a gun behind every blade of grass.

I don’t/can’t read a map while I’m driving. I have to use my glasses and a magnafying glass to read the small print. Can’t do that while driving.

me too. my eyes don t do small print anymore

god bless texas. that is a new pc of history to me. there is so much left to learn …

If you want to know the source of a lot of road rage, it just might be the NPR news shows. They are broadcast during the peak traffic hours and have a lot of politically charged stories or stories that appeal to your righteous indignation one way or another. You get so worked up that it doesn’t take very much from one of those other idiot drivers to set you off.

iPod with soothing music or favorite oldies seems to be the answer. Now I just ignore the idiots whole I sit back and enjoy the music. What’s a couple more minutes in traffic if you are enjoying something like good music.

it s weird because I never really listened to it any other time, but the only music I could stand while working was the classical music on npr. it did not distract me or annoy me

Precisely, @VDCdriver‌!

wesw How we do things are so similar. When I was a military Aircrewmember my duties included mission planning on paper maps, aerial surveillance systems operation, and navigation. We had late 1970s state of the art inertial navigation which when working properly was accurate to 250 meters. backed up by 3 radio navigation systems and finally backed up by the good old map which never had a failure. I understand that GPS is accurate to 10 meters or less. I have very little experience with it. I also take slightly longer routes to avoid heavy and crazy driver traffic situations. If I have to be somewhere at a certain time I allow extra time.

jtsanders I lived in the Los Angeles area for 3 years in the mid 1970s It was about 10 miles from my house to downtown LA. At certain times it was 1 hour+ on the Interstate or 20 to 30 minutes on the boulevard depending on red lights which still beat sitting on the Interstate parking lot. Eventually more and more drivers discovered this and the difference became very little.

westie So far MapQuest has sent me to only 3 dead ends.

@SgtRock‌, I spent way too much time in the beach communities of LA from 1999 through 2006 on business trips. I found that surface streets were almost always faster than the freeways. One time I drove from LAX to Santa Monica to meet a friend. My friend took the 405 from El Segundo and it took 45 minutes. It took me 15 minutes.

The 405 is always the slowest way to go. My sister is in Playa del Rey and I always use the surface streets up to Santa My nica or down to my hometown of Torrance. Any further and the 405 starts to make sense.

Frank Perdue is exactly the kind of self-made man who thinks he can never do anything wrong. If he made mistakes he wouldn’t be so rich.

great minds think alike sarge…

yep, I grew up in salibury, md, which has really grown and has horrible rush hour traffic. my knowledge of the areas layout allows me to get around quite peacefully and saves time , even if I do travel farther in actual distance.

"Frank Perdue is exactly the kind of self-made man who thinks he can never do anything wrong. If he made mistakes he wouldn't be so rich."

Frank has been dead for over 9 years.
Perhaps you are thinking of his son, Jim, who succeeded him as CEO of Perdue Farms.

he may be dead, but mark is exactly right about his feeling superior to others, at least that was the impression I got when he talked to me. I was painting the railing on his office entry way and he stopped to chat for a brief second. he must have noticed or been told that I worked hard. he did seem to admire hardwork, and liked to help teens his other employees who worked hard. he treated them well, and they always rejected the union. the lifers would have 6 weeks vacation every year as best as I can recall.

I learned a valuable lesson that summer after 10 th grade, in his summer jobs program.
frank perdue was the fastest walker you will ever see. his top aides all walked fast, but none seemed as fast as frank.

I always tried to be the fastest walker when I worked after that, and the hardest worker.
not always wise, as you should not destroy your body by pushing it beyond its limits.
but I still think the fast walking thing is a good practice and an indicator of work ethic

but I still think the fast walking thing is a good practice and an indicator of work ethic

I’m a fast walker…but not sure that directly relates to good work ethic. I do think it equates to good health though. Obviously if you go beyond your limits you may do more damage then good.

I’m don’t think I’d put It that way @MarkM. Successful people get that way because they are not afraid to try to succeed. Everyone makes mistakes, but we don’t have to let them get in the way of progress. I guess entrepreneurs like Frank Perdue have to believe they have a better way, otherwise they wouldn’t work so hard trying to make those ideas work.

actually his father, arthur w perdue, was the real go getter. he bought some hens in my home town of salibury md, and began delivering eggs. he turned it into an empire which frank merely continued. he did a great job too, but his dad was the driving force at first.

he was said to be a very hard man. his picture looks like that was true.