A used Diesel car Vs a Hybrid (perhaps new)

1) Diesel

Someone told me to get a used Diesel as opposed to buying a Insight.

What’s so special about Diesel?

2) In a previous post here, someone told me not to touch on a used Volvo or VW (didn’t recommend it). I see VW Diesel cars say 2004 model. So I am wondering if they would be a good alternative?

Appreciate any guidance, pointers or tips.

What kind of driving do you do? Diesels will be better for highway driving and hybrids are better for city driving.

However, the problem here is that all the diesel cars sold here are either VW’s or Mercedes, which both have spotty reliability records, whereas most of the hybrids are sold by Honda and Toyota who have stellar reliability records. It’s not that there’s really anything inherently superior about the hybrid system to a diesel for most driving (IMHO it’s quite the contrary), but it’s what we have avaliable here. Supposedly over the next few years there are going to be more companies introducing diesel cars and so you might have some better options down the road.

Diesels and hybrids are worthwhile purchases only if they meet your needs in every other way, and not just because they are a diesel or hybrid powered vehicle. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of these vehicles being practical. Pick out a car type that fits your needs, then see if hybrid/diesel is offered.
As “GressyJack” so well implied, both hybrid and diesel technology is very limited in their offerings as worthwhile and reliable purchases. I would wait to buy either or buy without either for now. Exceptions for me are the Prius and proven diesel truck technology.

What’s so special about Diesel?

Diesel fuel has more energy per unit (weight or volume) than gasoline. The diesel cycle is more efficient than your basic gasoline engine.

That is true with or without the hybrid part. You can use hybrid technology on either gasoline or diesel engines, but there is a little more to gain with a gasoline engine, so there are few diesel hybrids. The additional cost of both technologies is really not worth the cost.

I would suggest test driving both. That may well rule one or the other out.

Diesel (invented by Rudolph Diesel) is a proven technology hat is over 100 years old. Good mileage with high torque.

Hybrids are relatively new and not everybody is convinced it is the “wave of the future”. Also even thought the 300(?) volt battery has come down in price it is very expensive. Here’s a scenario, your hybrid is 8 years old and has 150,000 miles on it and now it needs a $2500.00 battery. That’s a lot of money for something like that.

Thanks to everyone for your contribution to this thread.

It helped me very much.

I appreciate it.