Hybrid vs. TDI

Can someone give me an objective answer on which would be preferable between the Civic Hybrid and the Jetta TDI for use as a commuter about 60 highway miles per day?

Does it depend on the year model? I’m looking at new and used. Thanks!

A hybrid of any make will not give you any significant mpg advantage in highway driving, when compared to a diesel vehicle. A hybrid is very advantageous in urban driving, but the advantage begins to erode very rapidly with highway driving.

In your situation, I would buy the diesel–as long as you understand that a VW will never be as reliable as a Honda.

VDC got it, given the two choices. If it’s money you want to save, neither might be best - a used Civic could give you lower cost per mile, for example…

New TDI’s are hard to come by right now. But they would be the better choice for the best mileage on the highway.

Now I get better than most people do, but on my NB TDI I get low 50’s in the city and upper 50’s to low 60’s on the road. I have about 75,000 miles on my 2002. I have been very happy with it.

Your best bet is really a standard Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. Given your limited mileage you are only going to save about 1.5 gallons per week using a hybrid vs non-hybrid.

Without a doubt you will pay more for a used or new hybrid vehicle or TDI vs standard gasser.

Hybrids are overrated.

My concern with either hybrid or TDI is that dealers are taking advantage of people’s fears and pricing both at much more than the mileage difference justifies. Dealers can charge what they can, just doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to pay it!

If you are looking for the LOWEST COST PER MILE TO OWN AND OPERATE forget diesels and hybrids…Fuel cost is generally the smallest part of vehicle ownership even at todays prices…Buy a 5 year old reliable vehicle FOR CASH that gets decent mileage and you will come out WAY ahead in the end…

Caddyman’s advice makes sense, but don’t rule out diesels or hybrids, just don’t assume they will be best for you. Buying new cars or cars in high demand tend to cost the owner more. I usually buy my car’s new, but I also tend to keep them for 150-200,000 miles.

Imperial (larger) gallons?

I would not buy either. Consider a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE with a highway mileage figure of 37 mpg. You can get one for under 15K with the current sales that GM is running. The $5000 premium for another car will buy a lot of gasoline (1250 gallons good for 46,000 miles) and the mileage figure is not much less at 37 mpg. That would be a stick shift and a Cobalt has no timing belt to change for $500 plus.

Chevrolet has been making the current version for enough time now that they should have the bugs out.