A sure sign

He was stopped at a turn lane on the highway so pretty noticeable but who knows where he came from.

Pretty sure kids can drive ATVs on trails without a license just like a snowmobile. They can be driven on the road too by a licensed driver. Kid didn’t look old enough for a license.

1 Like

On the trails or private land the kid wouldn’t need a license here either, A licensed driver can operate on on the road in this county on roads that have a 35mph limit or lower, such as the dead end one my parents still live on.

On a road like that, I’m not surprised the police stopped him. If it had been a road with a 25 mph speed limit, maybe it’s ok, but not a highway.

In my neighborhood, there are 3 or 4 different lawncare companies that have contracts with homeowners, but those homes/lawns are rarely adjacent. As a result, every Thursday & Friday (the prime lawn-cutting days), there is a fairly common stream of commercial riding mowers (the kind that the operator stands on) going back & forth down the streets, in order to reach their next account.

In some cases, they are driving 2 or 3 blocks between houses, and I have seen cop cars drive right past them w/o batting an eyelash. Either it’s legal around here, or it is the second least-enforced ordinance. (The first least-enforced is the collection of sales tax on out-of-state purchases. :wink:)

Probably why I never got an answer. This was before lawn services and zero turns got popular.

the answer is to raise revenue . . but you should be complaining to your local representative. not here.

This is a forum and as long as the subject does not violate the forum rules then one can post something like this.

2 Likes

It seems that half of my neighbors have golf carts or UTV’s that they use for going to the homeowner’s park or just cruising around the neighborhood so it’s either legal or nobody cares.

Unfortunately legal in my area, Kids drive them to school and the mall. I think as young as 12, might be 14 years old.

1 Like

I think around here there is an ordinance where you have to buy a permit to use them on the streets. That is if you are licensed.

Here you have to be at least 16 and have gone through drivers education if not licensed. Only legal in golf cart zones that are supposed to have signs telling you when you’ve reached the end. Low Speed and Medium speed vehicles are legal otherwise but still need some sort of registration.

My question is are they insured??

doesn’t say that they have to be here in Washington state

These sorts of law enforcement questions are what consumes hours of law school. People learn how to think and reach solutions to questions with no simple solutions. Usually the answer is that the law enforcement person needs to use discretion, and then we get into the weeds when human nature takes too big a role.

1 Like