A roundup of discontinued models for 2025

Thanks for that detailed history of model years in North America!

Still, if some people want to go by the mfg date on the certification (GVWR/GAWR) placard on their door frame, that is their prerogative. EG a 2024 M.Y. So-n-So with a build date of October 2023. They’ll insist it’s a “2023 So-n-So”.

That could result in implications for when they register the car, or go to buy parts for it.

1 Like

The sticker in the door jam area with the pro-date and GVWR etc, tire size etc (see picture) is not (but can be) the vehicle model year, the model year is found in the 10th place of the (17 digit) VIN number and the under hood fed-emissions sticker…

I have a lot of these stickers (for reference if needed) in my phone, easier to take a picture and more accurate than writing the vin down back in the day…

2 Likes

It figures that Nissan is dropping the Titan. The latest has been a joke for so long its not a surprise. I considered one in 2021 and could not bring myself to do it. While Toyota, Ford, Stelantis and GM have spend the last 20 years upgrading and at least trying to improve and modernize their trucks, Nissan fell further and further behind in every way. Gas mileage, features, comfort, ride, capacity, reliability… all fell behind the competition. Sounds like the rest of Nissan right? Nissan is a fantastic example of how to take a respected company down the toilet. Every car designed in the last 15 years has been unreliable. They’ve failed in every way. From failed CVTs to failed diesel truck engines. I used to love Nissan… I’ve owned an Xterra, a Murano, a Frontier and a Sentra. All of mine were designed 20+ years ago. The CVT in the Murano was a disaster. I still have the 2013 Sentra. Its CVT is OK, but the electrics are trash and its not built to be fixed. $500 in labor for a window control, $1500 in labor just to get at the heater blower. Plus parts. I’d say that Nissan is the Yugo of the 21st Century.

Edited for accuracy it’s the Nissan Titan, not Toy Tundra that’s getting axed…. Although Toyotas big truck engines are really problematic.

1 Like

With the economy being what it is, and with all this focus on saving the planet/reducing pollution, I can’t understand why the Mirage isn’t a top-selling model. This is exactly the type of vehicle which most people need, and yet for some reason very few are buying them. That is the question which our government should be focusing on, not trying to push people into buying battery-powered EVs.

They sold better when they were $10K or less and reviews even in the UK were never that favorable compared to competitors like the Honda Fit which was a much better car even at a higher sticker price. None of the subcompact cars sold as well as the Civic or Corolla.

It might be what they NEED, but the car is not what they WANT!

As for this thought…

The old saying… You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink… rings true here. No matter how many laws you pass, you can’t force the consumer to buy what they don’t want.

A good example is California’s mandate for car manufacturer’s to offer electric cars or they won’t be allowed to sell in California. They backed away from that after it was obvious it was not going to work. NOW they nearly break their arms patting themselves on the back touting it as the birth of the EV car industry… A bit of revisionist history!

2 Likes

Because in real life, people just really don’t care about what the government is pushing down their throats, not matter what your (people in general) political or personal views are… Like you said, people in general don’t want EV’s being shoved down their throats and are tired of everything… And big trucks and big SUV’s sales are the best prof that most people don’t want economy vehicles… People (in general) want what they want and are tired of the government trying to micromanage their lives…

Do some people want EV’s and Hybrids? YES, and they should be able to buy them, but don’t force it on us…

Really trying desperately to keep politics out of this…

?
The US economy is in far better shape than the economies of any of the other G20 nations:
https://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2024/06/28/tr062824-usa-transcript-of-art-iv-press-briefing#:~:text=The%20U.S.%20is%20the%20only,pace%20over%20the%20medium-term.

People will often buy things based on their feelings or perceptions, rather than on a completely rational basis. I believe that most people don’t actually “need” a large SUV or truck, but they buy them anyway, for… image (?) or for other reasons that run counter to their actual needs.

But, let’s not forget that the Mirage was designed for consumers in Third-World countries, and all of the highly-critical test drive articles confirm why most Americans–and even a lot of Europeans–aren’t interested in something with an almost total lack of creature comforts, mediocre handling & braking, and a buckboard ride.

3 Likes

I hope Nevada_545 read this.

Just one of many reasons business owners are pulling out of Cali, or closing down, they are getting tired of all the BS their…

1 Like

Read it again… Nissan is dropping the Titian, not the Tundra.

Titan hasn’t had the best reliability record overall but I know someone who is a lighter duty user that just put about 10,000mi on the truck over 3mo on various road trips without a single issue. Just had to do an oil change part way back from the east coast. It brought a few new buyers to Nissan but not anywhere close to what GM or Ford do with their 1/2 ton’s.

I read those everyday, I am familiar with manufacture dates, in-service dates, warranty coverage and replacement parts application.

Don’t try to explain model year definition to others.

3 Likes

No it isn’t their prerogative. The build date is NOT the model year. The Model year letter appears in the VIN right before the serial number.

For example: My 2013 Mustang was built 6/2012 but has a “D” model year code for 2013. My truck was built in 6/2004 with a “G” model year VIN for a 2004 model year. Every DMV in the US uses the model year letter code in their title and registration not the build date.

With running changes, you might need the build date to buy certain repair parts for your car.

3 Likes

Again, a prime example is Dodge Neon’s 1st model year was 1995 (vin and under hood sticker as well as the dealer), but they were built from January 1994 as per the Pro-date of 1/1994 (and the dealer), but they never made a 1994 model year Neon… So you can not order parts for a 1994 Neon, even though it was made in 1/1994…

So it is NOT ones prerogative, it is the facts…

3 Likes

An older example: the “1964 1/2” Mustang, sold beginning in April '64, produced starting March '64, all were titled as 1965 model year.

6 Likes

Agreed!

I’ve known this for over twenty years. Does Nevada??

It is his prerogative in the sense that nobody can force him to believe the correct way of things.

Not that I can tell. As far as I can tell you’ve mis-understood his posts on this topic.

1 Like

How?

My understanding the U.S. model year system is pretty straight forward:

It precedes the calendar year by anywhere from 3 to as much as 11 months.

Why am I always the “bad guy”?

Is this a trick question ?

2 Likes