A reminder

… to check your tire pressure, now that the temps are beginning to drop.

This morning, I checked my tires, and they had all lost 3 psi.
While I was at it, I decided to extricate my “donut” spare, which I hadn’t checked for… a while.
To my shock, the donut was down to only 36 psi, from its recommended 60 psi.

Now, everything is aired-up properly, and I can motor with confidence.
Check your tires!

9 Likes

Yes, its that time of year when we need to remove the Summer Air and replace it with Fall or Winter Air.

I would have to agree with @VDCdriver just in general about checking tire pressures…never a bad thing and something that has become nearly a lost art out there… I am a big proponent of tire pressure checks… Its quick, easy and has a great number of benefits to you and your vehicle.

3 Likes

You’re right on that! It got down to all the way down to 80* last night (, headed for 92*). I’d better check the tires on the old Caravan here.

Seriously, good advice, though, for folks at higher latitudes. When I fly back north at week’s end I will be checking and “plumping up” all the tires, as I do every autumn. At northern home it’s already dipped into the 30s at night!

Good reminder! Thanks!

CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

We’re still having some scattered pretty warm days and also having a few cold nights.

Do you think I should be running a 50/50 air right now ? :nerd_face:

4 Likes

I did that years ago. Now, I use nothing but multi-vis, all-season air and I don’t have to screw around changing it or mixing it.
:drum: “ba-dum-TSH!”

CSA

2 Likes

I believe in nitrogen in my tires, I go with the 78/22 mix.

4 Likes

@oldtimer-11 what is this substance of which you speak Sir? Sounds like some sort of new and imported Devilry.

I have heard of Race Cars using precise amounts of Nitrogen in their tires, but I have never seen, or heard of anyone using this new element “Nitrogin” what is it, how is it used and where do you obtain this new mystery element? I also cannot locate it on the Periodic Table, but it must be close to Nitrogen…one never can tell however.

It sounds expensive, like that element “Unobtanium” not to be confused with the inexpensive “Chinesium”, so my interest is definitely piqued Sir. Perhaps the other regulars might give me some hints at other new or Rare Earth Elements

3 Likes

Usually I notice when spellcheck flags something.Nitrogin is the explosive , drunken isotope.

1 Like

Ah hah ! So it IS some type of new Devilry. I knew you were up to something Mr @oldtimer-11 !

Let me know when I can obtain some of this stuff… it actually sounds a little fun.

OK… my sad silly joke is over… I will cease and desist and not get in the way of @oldtimer-11 providing all the good advice that he does regularly on this website for absolutely no fee whatsoever.

That’s good stuff! I use it in my tires, too, and I’ve even filled my home with it. I consume vast quantities of it every time I ride my bicycle!
CSA

Due to the positive response, I am going to double my fee.

2 Likes

Will climate change affect the numbers? maybe it is effect, I read breaks and petal so often in this forum I now have to double think everything!

1 Like

I’m overdue to check my tire pressure, but I’m still waiting for the temperature to change. :wink:

florida%20fall%20pumpkins

4 Likes

And don’t forget to check the spare pressure in your older friends and relatives, my 91 year-old aunt had a flat in my driveway yesterday. When I got her donut spare out to put on the car it had 20 lb of pressure in it. Should have been 60 the car is a 2005 and I am sure no one has checked the pressure in that tire since she bought it new. Even though the car goes into the garage for regular service.

4 Likes

It bothers me that shops seldom check the spare. I carry two spares and a small cheap compressor.

Just an off the wall thought here . I guess the shops would check the spare if asked . But I wonder if they don’t because some people hide things in the spare tire compartment . So rather then be accused of prying they just don’t open the compartment.

3 Likes

Took this advice yesterday. Changed the oil on the Wife’s car, rotated tires, checked pressures. Down 5 psi! And our weather is still 92 daytime and 80 at night.

Another comment… The recommended service at 35,000 miles on a 2.0 liter, turbo Audi engine is to replace the double platinum spark plugs. Huh? They looked great but 4 new ones don’t cost enough to stop me replacing them.

Oem plug was an NGK so I replaced them with NGKs

That was in the factory service requirements, not a dealer’s boat payment.

3 Likes

It’s almost fall in the south!

The sun coast TV weatherman says it’s going to begin to feel much more like fall by this week-end, seriously… :thinking:

…it will still be 89* - 90*, however it will be much lower humidity and the air will have that fall feel to it! Not only that, but night temps are going to fall all the way to mid to upper 70s.
Oh, no! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I went out to the ocean last evening to watch the sunset and look for sharks’ teeth. On the beach, sea breeze was about 87 and water in the Gulf was 87. It was absolutely heaven on earth.
CSA

Compact spare tires will loose that much air in 3 to 4 years, I have a 2016 vehicle on my lift right now with 20 PSI in the compact spare.

thank you for your reply, the moral of the story is check your spare tires when you check your regular tires. And just because you tell the dealer to service the car and check everything doesn’t mean he’s going to check the spare. Or some day you may be sitting along the road with no spare tire