A new car...for $6,800?

"Hey, it's based on the Geo Metro 3 cylinder, so it's gotta be great, right? "

So…our old friend, Otterhere, can find her next perfect car if she buys one of these 3-wheeled contraptions?

;-))

“This new motor was developed by Germany’s IAV and uses a different cylinder block, cylinder heads, CAM cover, front cover, oil pan, crankshaft, camshaft, valve train, pistons, connecting rods, bearings and water pump than the Metro’s engine.”

That’s like saying the current GM small block is based on the one from the 1950s

:open_mouth:

Well, they started with the Metro motor, then modified it as needed to meet hp/emissions/mpg goals. Elio made a BIG point about ‘no new tech’, so it sounds like it’s not too far from the original.

What a bunch of bull.
You can’t really buy a decent TWO wheeled motorcycle for $6,800 let alone some vehicle that has a body, 3 airbags, AC and the rest of the stuff they claim.

Here’s the statement that sets off the full scale BS alarms-

Because Elio is half the width of a regular car, it gets twice the mileage.

Yeah right. Everybody knows it’s a linear relationship… :wink:

+3 ('cause +1 is just not enuff!) to @TwinTurbo for ringing the BS bell.

"Because Elio is half the width of a regular car, it gets twice the mileage."

Yeah, if that is the “science” on which the car is based, then more than likely everything about it is questionable. Good catch, @TwinTurbo!

A three wheeled vehicle is classified as a motorcycle. Exactly what are the latest safety standards for a motorcycle? Are there any? I’ll bet it meets them.

Based on my limited experience, you want to stick to even numbers of wheels. Even if some of the modern trikes have somehow solved the ill-handling flaws of previous offerings, guess what happens when you try to straddle a pothole?

I prefer to give it the benefit of the doubt until I learn otherwise. Automotive history is filled with false starts and bloated claims, but every once in a while the claims turn out true. Every now & again someone makes a big jump. Henry Ford did it in 1909, Germany in 1938 with the Beetle, and Bruce Meyers in 1964. We’re due for another big leap.

It’s easy to bash someone trying something different. I’d rather be optimistic.

Regardless of what the original design intent is, cars eventually survive or fail based upon their ability to transport two passengers and two sets of golf clubs. This one shows little promise.

Regardless of what the original design intent is, cars eventually survive or fail based upon their ability to transport two passengers and two sets of golf clubs

Friend of mine was looking at a new mid-size car. I forget what size Buick it was…but after he test drove it and was about to make a deal…he had one more test…Drove over to his car and removed his clubs and pull cart and attempted to fit them in the trunk of the Buick…They wouldn’t fit…deal off. The salesman couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t buy the car…just because the clubs wouldn’t fit…Some people just don’t understand.

Wow, Mike, I don’t know what model Buick that was but it used to be an absolute MUST for a GM car to accept TWO sets of clubs. That’s partly why the Pontiac Fiero ended up with a bigger trunk that spoiled the styling a bit. Maybe the Chinese that buy a significant percentage of Buicks built don’t play much golf.

It was at least 20 years ago. The clubs would fit…but not with his pull cart - he was 70 and couldn’t carry any more. He and his wife both had clubs and pull carts.

When a cheap car gets into production, Consumer Reports usually buy one anonymously and test it. They did that with the first Subaru, the 1986 Hyundai Pony and lately the rock bottom priced Mitsubishi. Al those were considered inferior cars and CR recommended if price is a criteria, buy a good used model that is highly rated.

None of these cheap cars will succeed in North America because of the abundance of good cheap used cars and cheap gas by world standards.

In Europe they had a rash of these in the 60s from Italy (Isetta), England (Bond Minicar), Germany (Goggomobile, BMWs, and NSU, and the KIng Midget in America. None lasted long with rising living standards.

Even the Cheap $3500 Indian car form Tata is not selling well; the ones that do have all sorts of extras on them raising the price to $5000 or so.

You can't even buy a new Bombardier Can Am trike for that kind of money

But the Can-Am is a toy. Toys with engines are always overpriced. There are $15,000 snowmobiles, after all, and they don’t even have front wheels. Or radios. Or climate control.

And motorcycles, which also don’t have enclosed bodies, can easily be 20 grand. The Goldwing is 10 more than that. Harleys another 10+ grand - that’s BMW money.

I think the Elio could be that inexpensive, or at least fairly close, because it’s not going to have all the luxocrap that most cars come with today.

There are $15,000 snowmobiles, after all
Yes, and there are $7500 snowmobiles too. I don’t really see the point. There are cars that cost $225k too but we’re not talking about the elite version of any of these products. Go to the basement model and then start your comparisons. My M/C cost around $7k and it has a 1600cc motor. It’s basic and still cost more than this proposed “car”. I’m betting the audience for my type of motorcycle is on par with the number of people who would be willing to buy into this dinky car-like trike so their volumes are not going to be that great to drive down costs. Couple that with some expensive extras and it’s all pie-in-the-sky if you ask me…

Go to the basement model and then start your comparisons.

Why? It was compared to a Can Am. That’s not something that people who buy basement models of things would buy.

I’ll take it a step further - even IF they can build and sell it for $6,800, I wouldn’t buy it, or recommend it. Getting extra mpgs is not worth the poor safety of this thing. Buy a used compact car instead for the same $$, get much more utility and safety, pay a little more for gas.

But I’ll be surprised if it makes it to market at this price.

The extra that many Americans can fit into and out of this car is their fat asteroids. It has very special and limited market appeal. Many cars fail because of this limited appeal. Retirees might be interested, if they had a place to fit a walker or could squat to get in and out and students want to travel in packs, not alone. It’s good for one person only…the meter maid.

@Shadowfax I agree that the CanAm is somewhat of a toy, but the layout is similar to the Elio with two front wheels and one driven on the back. Yes, it’s a LOT like their snowmobile.

Whether Elio can get the cost down to the point that they can produce it and sell it for $6800 each remains to be seen.

Would I buy one? Probably not. I think I’ll stick to my BMW you spoke of. Only two wheels, but a lot more fun.