A little worried

If you have to drive that again, I’d consider using full-synthetic oil and using the thickest oil recommended for your engine–especially if you will be doing it in summer. If you have good oil in a well-designed engine and don’t overheat it or drive at redline, the engine should handle it just fine.

@wesw …Almost any small size 4 cylinder will be weak when paired with an automatic transmission. My wife had a Pontiac T1000 that was so weak it was dangerous when trying to merge into interstate traffic. It had a 1.6L engine and an automatic transmission. I once owned a Dodge Shadow with a 2.2 engine and a manual transmission. It was a very reliable vehicle and was fairly quick to boot.

My wife had a Pontiac T1000 that was so weak it was dangerous when trying to merge into interstate traffic.

A rebadged Chevy Chevette is hardly a yardstick to measure performance by!

I have a 98 S10 4cyl automatic and I would like to have a new one but they do not make them anymore. Mine runs just fine and it merges traffic and gets decent gas mileage. I do notice that I can not keep up with my neighbors Z06.

@Volvo V70
My son has a 2001 S10 4 cylinder automatic. His wife had a 1995 V-8 Mustang with the 5 speed manual transmission. However, she had a back injury and was unable to drive the Mustang, so they sold it. They have to have a vehicle that sits up and has an automatic transmission. My son was driving the Mustang while she drove their Uplander minivan. However, he got a good buy on the S 10 an doesn’t miss the Mustang. The S10 uses less gasoline on his half hour commute to work than the Mustang.