A final solution to headlight glare?

The sharp cutoff usually means you have a projector setup where you have basically a shutter that covers the top part of the bulb thus the hard cutoff . High beam is when this shutter moves out of the way and you get full light output . On mine there is a distinctive “clunk” when that shutter moves . Myself I just consider anything that has to move a potential repair bill down the road . hopefully it will last the life of the car as you probably have to replace the whole headlight at hundreds of dollars if that shutter setup goes faulty .

Mine has separate bulbs for high and low beam.
Low beam projection. High beam reflector.

1 Like

Driving back from the cabin late one night with my HIDs, I was amazed at how well deer were lit up on the side of the road. Had about 30 of them in a 15 mile span but saw every one of them way ahead of time. My current LEDs are similar. I’m all for reducing glare but don’t mess with reducing the night visibility I have come to enjoy.

1 Like

Sounds better than the single bulb setup like I have .

…that moment when you flick your lights at an oncoming car because their lights are too durned bright … and then you get x-rayed…

4 Likes

In addition to all the factors above, color temperature needs to be taken into consideration. Many of these new headlights have a higher color temperature which will cause more glare per lumin and take longer for your eyes to recover.

The lower color temperature also allows you to see into the darker areas (less lit areas) better. Bright LEDs can be made in 4000k and 2700k color temps. I think the manufacturers are using the 4000k because it is closer to natural daylight, but the 2700k would actually be better. It is closer to the old tungsten bulbs which were at 2300k.

1 Like

Has anyone else heard of a shutter that moves out of the way to change light output?

Can you please mention the make and model of the car that has those lights you speak of.

NEXT: we need to work with state legislatures to ban the use of after-market non-complying bulbs.

2 Likes

Great light for the driver of the vehicle so equipped?

Maybe not so great for anyone approaching them…

1 Like

Decades ago when Cadillac was the brand for the rich, entitled and stingy, if an oncoming car had it’s high beams on, even in the middle of a well lit city, yep it’s a Cadillac.

Cadillac, the car where low beams and turn signals are optional equipment.

“Buy a Cadillac and own the road”.

Today those selfless(not) attitudes are carried along by other brands.
Won’t name any of them for fear of the Car talk PC police.

X-rayed! Haha! That’s one I’ve gotta use. I find myself in the same situation constantly.

All jokes aside, this is great news.

All current Dodge Durango’s have Projector headlights that use the shutter system . That is how projector headlights work on these , for low beam the shutter covers part of the light beam out put . When hit the high beams you can hear the shutter moving out of the way so you have full beam output .

Probably more info on HID’s then you’ll ever want.