A curiosity about my transmission

@Talon, you do realize that if you have an afterthought, you can just edit your previous message, and edit it.
You don’t have to start a new post.

I was confused because in your initial post you called this a 4-speed Torqueflight but in all the discussion about it, it is clear that it is a 3-speed . This was the most rugged stock transmission ever made, back in the dat it was even used in Hemi dragsters.
The only reason they stopped making rhem was the need for more gears and a lockup torque converted for better fuel mileage.
The 4-speeds that replaced them did not have adjustable bands.

Well, I had a '96 full-sized Dodge van with the overdrive transmission, that I drove 15 years and 138 K miles and it held up good, not as long as your’s tho.

heh, you really ARE an OLD timer aren’t you, from back in the days before OVERDRIVE existed? that’s the 4th gear, it’s just an extension of third but it is refered to as 4th

but yes i understand, there are only 3 main gears, but there is a 4th, overdrive, it operates on a direct drum that engages to the high gear paul in the rear of the tranny somewhere, or possibly the front, but i think it kicks in about 55 60 mph maybe

I apologize. Wow, you know it seems to me…and this could be nonsense, but it seems like people on this forum spend more time GRIPING about the way I type than they do actually talking about the topic. I don’t care if i get kicked off the forum due to this attitude.

I came here hoping I could help others as I am an excellent mechanic, and maybe get some answers to my questions, as well. So let me make this abundantly clear…IF YOU DON"T FEEL LIKE TALKING ABOUT THE TOPIC, PLEASE JUST GO ON TO SOMEONE ELSE’S DISCUSSION…

I too have had pretty good luck with Chrysler products, despite many not liking them here. I’m not complaining about your grammar or paragraphs, but did you know you can edit your existing posts to add to them instead of posting 5 separate posts that are all continuations of the same thing? Not sure if that’s what’s going on or if you’re typing on some mobile device that has some limitations.

I had a couple of Mopars with the 727 transmission in them, and never had any transmission problems, despite beating the heck out them when I was younger. They were pretty much bulletproof. I may be wrong, but I think your truck tranny is just an upgrade of the old designs, not a fresh start, which is good.

I know that many Dodge V6s (3.9) only had 3 speed transmissions. I kinda thot they all did. BTW, I have had many of the old 727s.
a '66 Dodge Monoco, '68 Chrysler Station wagon, '73 Dodge pickup, '73 Chrysler Newport w/400 engine, '78 New Yorker., '83 Dodge pickup, '90 & '93 Caravans, '94 Ram 1500, '96 Dodge B2500, of course the last 4 were not 727s. I now have an '09 Grand Caravan with 4 speed tranny, with the “slap stick”. Obviously, I didn’t have them all a long time, but had no problem with them. Except the '96 Ram. The transmission would get to sticking in 2nd and I would have to add some Barryman B12 and it would be ok for quite a while.

hmm…i wonder if your intermediate band was a little tight, anyhow, the Torqueflite TF-6, wich was also know as the chrysler A-500 transmission is a 4 speed RWD transmission, it has 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Overdrive.

Overdrive is just an extension of 3rd though so technically you can say it’s a 3 speed, O/D just makes 3rd gear taller.

OLD TIMER 11, i apologize for being a little frank up there, but yes Torqueflite did make 4 speed transmissions, and yes this particular one does have adjustable bands, although i do have to remove the fluid pan to get to the rear band adjuster.

You’re probably right however, most of the 4-speeds probably didn’t have adjustable bands, well…either that or they didn’t have any bands, infact now that i think of it, i don’t think there have been many banded trannys where you can’t adjust the bands.

it’s obvious that the bands are going to slip after a bit of usage, there has to be some way to get rid of the slack later on, so if a transmission has no band adjusters, it either has no bands, or…it’s a manual(wich would be quite the thing to discover i think lol)