A classic VW Bug goes all electric

Here you go. You can have a 59 VW Bug, all electric version for only $45,000, and I paid $500 for my gas version. Not sure where they are getting the old cars. Maybe from Mexico. Thought it was interesting anyway.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/17/autos/zelectric-bug-electric-vw-beetle/index.html?iid=HP_River

Worst of all possible worlds.

For the EV Enthusiasts, not bad range or top speed but just about any new E/V would be a better and safer choice.

In my winter climate here in east central Indiana, there would be no heat from the electric motor as opposed to the original air cooled gasoline engine that at least gave a little heat.
In rainy weather when the wipers are necessary, power would be robbed from the battery. Maybe an arrangement could be made so that the wiper motor as well as the windshield washers are powered from the compressed air in the spare tire.

@Triedaq

In rainy weather when the wipers are necessary, power would be robbed from the battery. Maybe an arrangement could be made so that the wiper motor as well as the windshield washers are powered from the compressed air in the spare tire.

This car probably sucks so much that you could just install vacuum wiper motors.

@B.L.E.

I like you comment. I wonder if this car would be any worse than the used Citicar EV that I once considered buying. The Citicar did have the optional propane heater.

Remember the Puzzler about the Beetle spare tire being used to pressurize the windshield spritzer bottle?

It would not be difficult to find Beetles this age in Southern California. And for an area with lots of smog like metro LA, it might make sense. Auto manufacturers offer more electric vehicles in California than any other state. The old engine was way underpowered anyway. The market will decide if this conversion is worthwhile.