'A Chronobiological Evaluation of the Acute Effects of Daylight Saving Time on Traffic Accident Risk'

Indiana Used to drive me crazy in the summer when I was driving truck. Some counties used DST and some didn’t. Hard to fill out a log book when you don’t know the local time.
Speaking about log books, I was driving for one trucking company making round trips between Buffalo and Indianapolis. It was casual work with no schedule and when called I had two hours to report to work.

Pf I had not had any sleep, I would drive as far as I could andpull over on an on ramp or off ramp and drop my head over the wheel for an hour or two. You have to log your stops with location and time.

I got called into the office about my logbook and the manager said, we can’t find this Cornfield Ohio you have been stopping at. I said “well when you drive until you can’t keep you eyes open anymore and take a nap and wake up somewhere on the interstate, you don’t a;ways know where you are. I look around and see nothing but corn, thence Cornfield Ohio.”

They never called me in again. Apparently there IS a Greenfield Ohio. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s the part that makes no sense to me. Once a year you change the clock ahead one hour. If losing one hour sleep is so detrimental to your driving ability just go to sleep an hour earlier, thereby getting the same 6 hours (or whatever) of sleep you always do. Other than that, how can the affects of changing the clock last past, say, lunch?

What I find most annoying about DST…at work we try to change over the clocks in customer’s cars if they haven’t done so. Sometimes that’s a feat in itself.

Everyone is different I know people who have to have a strict routine that get upset if they have to change it by as little as 10 minutes but I understand where you are coming from I never had much of a problem when I was still driving truck across country a lot of time’s I would get up in one time zone and go to sleep in another time zone the only time I realy worried about was my pickup and delivery apointments,

I know Arizona doe’s not go by DST but I had forgot about Indiana I always had to check what part I was in if I had a pickup or delivery there part’s of Kentucky are the same way. I like the Cornfield Ohio wish I would of thought of that and yes there is a Greenfield Ohio,

Some years ago I worked the night shift at a local alarm monitoring agency for awhile. The twice a year time shift was a royal pain to get all the various electronics, taping system, etc. changed over smoothly while still handling incoming alarms and also doing the large volume of nightly data “housekeeping.”

An amazing number of businesses and homeowners managed to trip their alarm systems those two nights. And since there are always those who don’t give their correct password the police, fire, and EMS stayed extra busy responding to the extra volume of resulting dispatched calls.

1 Like

Some year’s ago I heard about a study some one did about people who were late for work on the first day of DST they said it was more preacher’s than anyone else.

My Acura changes time as you change time zones. Even my flip phone will display the local time, so that’s not a problem. It still gets confusing though and throws meal times and normal waking times off. Not a big deal but still some impact.

Talk about mealtime’s if you remember some resturant’s would stop serving breakfast at 11- 00 one time I got there at 10 min’s till 11-00 one day and ordered bacon and egg’s and was told it was to late for breakfast I said OK can I get any of the sandwitch’s that were on the menu they said yes so I ordered a bacon and egg on toast when they brought it to me I took it apart and spread ut over the plate and asked what difference was they shut up and didn’d have another word to say.

It took me ten months to get an answer from our congressman why congress has still not acted on the FL permanent DST. Yet opting out of DST does not. But as you said, they are busy with other stuff, like fighting windmill cancer.

1 Like

Some folks here have no problem adjusting to DST, good for them. Bottom line, it looks like DST spring changeover results in around 28 more deaths each year:

As I read this thread I realized that for most of my life I have been on an “as demanded” schedule. Even working at a salaried job in Oakland CA my days varied depending on the demands of my responsibilities. Mondays and Wednesdays I was at work before 6:00am and when necessary remained past 7:00pm on Tuesday and Thursday with a great many day to day deviations added to muddle things up. I don’t recall ever having a job that was strictly synced to the clock. “Make hay while the sunshines” comes to mind. But I have forgotten to change my clocks resulting in Monday being a disaster in the spring.

I think we should have continuously variable time (CVT). We have the technology today that clocks and watches could continuously adjust as we move from east to west.

Here’s a map that shows how different the standard time is from solar time:

Yup, and then there is St. Patrick’s Day so a double whammy all in the same month so file your taxes early just in case, or stay off the roads.

1 Like

I was a senior in college the year we stayed on DST. I interviewed for. Job in Cleveland and the sun didn’t come up until about 9am. I didn’t take the job.

2 Likes

The last job I had before retirement, in Ohio, I left for work in the dark and returned in the dark from November until March. Long work days, long commute. DST had no effect at all on the daylight I got to experience.

What a waste of a study - Traffic fatalities also increase on these occasions - New Years eve - Prom Night - 3 day weekends for some holiday - Thanksgiving - Halloween when little Goblins are running around in the dark .

Plus Daylight Savings time lets children participate in organized activities outside longer instead of setting in their rooms starring at their phones.

4 Likes

I’m 180 deg. different here. I would be fine with permanent standard time. The downsides of DST to me are the later in the day it’s light, the later in the day it’s hot, making it more difficult to get to sleep at night in the summer. In the winter, under DST sunrise wouldn’t be until almost 8:00 AM, meaning most children and commuters would begin their morning’s trip is darkness.

Here in California, the move to permanent DST has been approved by the voters. The change passed in the assembly, but died in committee in the senate. One of the senators is trying to resurrect it to it can be passed by the senate and sent to the U.S. Congress (who has the ultimate say so) to get it approved before November, when DST would normally go away.

Just rotate the face/dial by 30 degrees backwards and you don’t have to adjust the hands. :grinning:

Have you never heard of air conditioning ? Or even fans ?
The Daylight Savings Time allows people to do yard work ( instead of using weekend time ) , outdoor activities ( Think Golf leagues - after work softball - bicycle rides ) after work .