A/C and heat make a unusual nose and not blowing out right, HELP!

So I have a 2003 Volkswagon Jetta with about 160,000 miles on it. I’m having trouble with the a/c and heat blowing out strongly or at all. The only way I can get it to work is to have the air on high when I’m driving at higher speeds but then not long after that it goes out and makes an unusual high-pitched ERRRRRRING sound. When it is blowing out the heat and a/c is a good temperature.

What could be the problem? Estimates on how much to fix it? It’s a VW so it’s usually pricey which makes me afraid to take it in but I need heat for winter.

What’s a “VK”?

The problem is most likely with the blower motor control module/resistor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8532584&cc=1434077&jsn=390&jsn=390

This component controls all the blower speeds except the high speed.

When the blower speed is set on high, this components is bypassed and direct voltage is applied to the blower motor. So the blower works.

Tester

It sounds like your ventilation fan is ready to quit . I also don’t know what VK stands for. As for being expensive almost all vehicle repair is. Get an estimate on fixing this problem before you spend money on another 3000.00 vehicle that may not be much better than you have. If you sell this like it is you are going to get low balled.

1 Like

The noise is probably from the failing bearings in the blower motor.
A new blower motor will cost between $150 and $300 and about an hour labor.

1 Like

Volkswagon

Another idea, the blower cage is hitting debris (leaves, twigs, etc) that has gotten sucked into the air ventilation intake. That might have loaded down the motor enough to damage the fan speed controller. This may be why the fan only works on high speed, and that you sometimes hear a whirring noise; i.e. the fan blades are hitting against the twigs. If this idea pans out, be sure you shop cleans away the twigs as part of the repair, otherwise the replacement controller will fail again for the same reason.

1 Like

sorry type-o suppose to be VW

Okay, thanks, guys! I like to have an idea of what is wrong before I take it in, so this really helps!