A 2019 Volvo XC60 with 120k miles on it

Hi guys. I’m looking at a 2019 Volvo xc60. The car has 120k miles on the highway. Only one previous owner and has been serviced by the previous owner. The car is asking for $20,000 in cash.
I wonder is there anything to watch out for? Does 120k miles in 4 years make a difference to the vehicle?

Has receipts for 10+ oil changes? How much does one with 40k miles cost?

1 Like

In addition to the need for timely oil changes, I hope that the OP can get hard-copy proof that the transmission fluid has been changed at least 3 times. If not, then that trans is on the threshold of when it is likely to fail.

Also, has the brake fluid been flushed?

1 Like

That car is approaching the end of its economically useful life.

3 Likes

RUN AWAY! Run FAR, Run FAST!

Older luxury Euro cars can create financial ruin for you. You’d fare better taking that $20K to Las Vegas and playing roulette… At least when you’ve lost the $20K it won’t cost you MORE money! The Volvo WILL.

4 Likes

I agree, even though my negative Volvo experience dates back to the days when they weren’t considered to be luxury cars.

1 Like

Buddy had xc90 (v8) as company car. He had deal where company sold him car at lease end for $1. He asked if I wanted to buy it. @ retail. Ha. I said no.

No, I need to ask the owner. The price with 40k miles in the same year is around 35,000.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t have any proof right now, I need to ask the owner.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

But, low mile car has warranty?
You ain’t keeping it forever.
Sell low mile car in 3 yrs when you get bored.
It will be worth way more then worn out one

1 Like

I am a person who believes that the only reason to buy a new car is if you intend to keep it until it is dead. Otherwise, why take such a huge depreciation hit?

Similarly, don’t buy a used car with extreme miles unless you intend to keep it forever. It will be extremely hard to resell, unless you plan to drive so few miles per year that the age will catch up to the mileage.
Finally, as warned here, a Volvo may not be a good choice for a long-term ownership. Estimate how long you would keep the car, and how many miles per year you would drive to estimate its value when you sell it. This car still has $20K to depreciate, plus high maintenance costs during ownership.
High mileage can indicate highway miles which are easy on a car. However, this car is almost five years old and driven just 25K per year, so the miles might not be just the easy ones.

1 Like