Thinking about buying a 2006 Volvo XC90

Hello friends… thinking of buying a 2006 Volvo xc90 2.5t suv . with 142 k miles… can you recommend what my need to be done . and is it a costly repair car to own? Patricia .
Thanks

It’s one of those cars that if you have to ask about repair costs and hassles, you should avoid.

1 Like

Yes……………………

1 Like

Not without seeing it first, and especially not without prior maintenance history from the previous owner(s)

Yes it is

With 142,000 miles, it will be expensive to maintain. At this age and mileage, anything that goes wrong is maintenance, not repairs. I suggest you consider a SUV that is not a luxury car. For the same money, you can get something newer and with lower mileage. See if you can find something under 100,000 miles and in excellent condition. Pay $100 to $150 to get a prepurchase inspection from a mechanic you trust before you buy.

well, mechanics gotta eat too. they need business.

look for possibilities other than a 13 year old 140k mile turbocharged VOLVO.

Yes

Costly, yes, yes, yes!. On of the least desirable used cars to buy. Thee are many better choices.

+1
Most of the more experienced people in this forum advise that European cars are best disposed-of once their warranty expires, lest one be driven to the Poor House by incredibly expensive maintenance and repairs.
In the case of this 2006 Volvo, most savvy people would have walked away from this HIGH MAINTENANCE car about 8 years ago.
:thinking:

Make sure the recalls have been done. I think you can determine that via Volvo’s website using the vin. I’m seeing recalls for GPS overheating, outer tie rod, windshield wipers, and starter cable. The recommendation here for used car buyers is to obtain a pre-purchase inspection by your own mechanic before writing any checks. Part of that inspection, your tech will make sure the dash warning light are doing what they are supposed to do, and checking for stored diagnostic codes and incomplete readiness monitors. Any unexplained findings in those areas makes the vehicle a no-go imo. Should be a good car with a lot of features, but be sure to adjust your budget so repairs and maintenance expenses don’t put it on the sideline. Suggest to budget $300 per month for that.