!999 Chevy Cavalier speedometer goes haywire & warning lights flash

My Chevy has about 149,000 miles. The charge light flashes constantly even though the battery & alternator have been replaced & tested . Periodically all the warning lights flash & the speedometer goes haywire in an instant. Then back to normal. The thing that scares me is when all this happens the car catches, don’t know how else to describe it, like it’s going to stall but doesn’t. My mechanic says it’s probably the instrument cluster & an expensive fix. When I take it in & they put it on the computer everything is OK. Any ideas? I’m afraid it will stall out one day.

Your vehicle has the side mount battery cables.

Remove both cables from the battery, negative first, and then peel back the red rubber cover on the positive cable to expose the battery terminals. If there’s a lot of corrosion on the battery terminals replace the positive battery cable assembly.

Tester

I used to own a Chev Cavalier a few years older than yours. The dash was acting up somewhat like you describe. The two ground cable connections at the bell housing were corroded from winter road salt; were cleaned and it was fine after that.

If that doesn’t do it, then these were problems I experience with my 2001 Regal. Then, one day, after doing what yours is doing, if flat quit. I had it towed to my mechanic shop, they diagnosed a faulty ignition switch which was replaced, problem solved.