99 blazer stuck in park

I’ve seen similar posts all over the web but no REAL answer to the problem… so here goes nothing…

I have a 99 blazer that is stuck in “Park”. The shifter is on the column, NOT THE FLOOR, and the gear box under the truck is not stuck.I can manually shift the gears no problem. All he cables are all in tact and seem to be working fine. The break lights are all working, and when we step on the breaks we can still hear the clicking sound of the solenoid switches activating…

I have tried every lil trick that people have come up with. I was told to try and turn it on but didnt start the engine, then put it in neutral to take it to get repaired… that clearly didnt work (If it wont come out of park, how can i get it into NEUTRAL to start it…) . Tried rocking it back and forth… nothing. From the logical to the ridiculous… we have hear it all.

Does anyone have a REAL solution??

Try - Turn the key to unlock, but not on. The radio and so on will still be off, but you can turn the steering wheel a little bit. Now see if you can shift into neutral. If you can, then do so and start the car. If you can’t, then try pushing the car forward slightly.

not to sound rude or ungrateful in anyway, but that was among the long list of things we’ve tried and it had no affect. The issue seems to be with the BTSI. The safety lock is not disengaging and the position of the key (on off started etc) doesn’t appear to make any difference…
Im looking for ways to bypass the BTSI the system wont lock at all once its in park… any ideas??

Sorry, your post wasn’t clear that you were in the unlock position and not the on position with the key. The procedure described is the way to bypass the shift interlock on a Ford. GM may be different.

Step 1: Find friend with larger truck.
Step 2: Crawl under yours and put the transmission in neutral
Step 3: Have friend with truck tow you to a repair shop
Step 4: Pay someone to take apart your steering column and replace the solenoid.

Failing that, call a tow truck and have them tow it rear-wheels-up. Other than that, you’re going to have to take apart the steering column yourself and see what isn’t working.

Sorry for not being clear with that, but I’ve had a long list of suggestions from various sources… too long to put them all on here…
Im not sure just how different Ford and GM (have never owned a ford). All i know is that it didnt work…
Thanks a bunch for your help.

I have already taken the column apart. I have no problem putting it back together and having it towed, I was just trying to avoid that… since i already have it apart…
Do you know which solenoid it is, where its located, etc…??

Guys, I think that he means that the shift lever and linkage is apparently working fine, but the vehicle does not move when he shifts out of PARK. To explain further, the vehicle will not move when shifted out of park and the park pawls are apparently locked inside the transmission. How’s that Kandiman? Have I got it right?

No, read it again,

“and the gear box under the truck is not stuck.I can manually shift the gears no problem. All he cables are all in tact and seem to be working fine.”

In other words, he can get under it and shift it to neutral and all is fine, he just can’t get the shifter out of park. See his answer to me, he just doesn’t want to take it somewhere to get it repaired.

To Kandiman, re: your response to my last post:

No, I don’t know how the shift interlock in a Blazer works. Go to your local public library and see what automotive resources they have. Many libraries have a pretty hefty assortment of automotive repair literature. Perhaps you can find an exploded view of the steering column.

Also, don’t just look inside the column for the interlock mechanism, the actual solenoid may be under the dash, locking the shifter via cable or linkage.

Best of luck!

A tad bit confused but I am wondering if this model is the kind you need to step on the brake to relaease from park, if so you could try jumpering the switch on the brake pedal in case that is the problem as 1 guess is the break activates a solenoid in the shift control rather than the transmission, possible?

"The break lights are all working, and when we step on the breaks we can still hear the clicking sound of the solenoid switches activating… "

I think the OP has accounted for that.

The interlock solenoid pulls on the park lock cable to unlock the steering wheel/shift lever. If you can hear the interlock solenoid click, but steering wheel/shift lever are still locked, then the park lock cable must be broken. Which requires dismantling the steering column to replace.

Tester