98 VW Jetta

Hello,

I have a 98 VW Jetta with about 170K miles. Today as I was driving, my check engine light turned on and the car started driving a bit rough. Specifically, as I was driving, the car was sputtering; that is, it would hesitate as if it was not getting enough gas. When I came to complete stop and the car was idling (car in neutral) the car stalled. There are times that the car will not stall when idling, but when you?re driving and the engine is getting gas, it kind of stutters. Does anyone have an idea or have experienced a similar problem? Any suggestions or input is much appreciated.

D in AZ

The first thing to do is to read the code that was set when the check-engine light came on. Many auto parts stores will do this for free.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Thanks for the reply, below are the codes that I have received:
P1127: Long Term Fuel Trim B1 System too rich
P0103: Air Mass sensor circuit high input
P0440: EVAP canister purge regulator valve.

I’m taking this thing to the mechanic tomorrow. Stay tuned. . . . .